Are nests with 90% worms intended?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
MtNak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Are nests with 90% worms intended?

Post by MtNak »

I started my current save on 0.9.8 and the enemies configuration was on Very low, Big, Very low.
All the nests i saw (near the starting point, didn't explore a lot) were 100% spawners. Only a very little and new (formed later on the game) had a few worms ( 3 nests 4 worms).
Now with 0.10 i walked a lot to explore new parts and generate new chuncks 0.10 and all the nests have like 80-90% worms.

I thought that the Richness of the enemies determined the ratio between spawners and worms, so i created a several new worlds with this setting to very low and very high, but didn't see a change in the ratio, all were about 50-50%.
First of all i cannot reproduce the 80-90% worms per nest in a new world. With or without the same settings. Are this kind of nests intended?
Second, what does Richness do on enemies?

Have a nice day! :)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (538.5 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
Last edited by MtNak on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Are nests with 90% worms intended?

Post by FishSandwich »

I can't answer your first question as I've rarely seen a nest that is mainly worms, so have no idea if it is intended or not.

For your second, the richness determines how many alien artifacts a biter spawner drops on its destruction.

MtNak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MtNak »

Sorry, i fixed the image now :)

So, with richness very high the spawners drop lots of alien artifacts? Thanks! Didn't know that.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

I have seen many nests that were all worms as well as many that were one spawner with half a dozen or more worms... They are not the norm, but they are not uncommon in my experience.

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tralala »

FishSandwich wrote: the richness determines how many alien artifacts a biter spawner drops on its destruction.
Are you sure? Is it the only change? Doesn't it mean how many biters a spawner spawns or how many biters live within one spawner?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

tralala wrote:
FishSandwich wrote: the richness determines how many alien artifacts a biter spawner drops on its destruction.
Are you sure? Is it the only change? Doesn't it mean how many biters a spawner spawns or how many biters live within one spawner?
That's what I originally thought as well but was recently corrected.. Either way I can't find any official word on it.

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Teurlinx »

FishSandwich wrote:
tralala wrote:
That's what I originally thought as well but was recently corrected.. Either way I can't find any official word on it.
I thought it affected the drop rate for artifacts because I had read it somewhere. It is pretty vague, but I at least found one thread discussing it:

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... wner#p8116
slpwnd wrote:The "richness" for the enemy bases changes the density of bases (how packed with the enemy spawners and turrets the base is). Amount of artifacts (loot) is at the moment randomly generated when enemy spawner is destroyed.
The post is from August 2013 so it might have been changed, but this is the only dev post I could find on the subject. In practice I don't really see much difference in enemy base density, but OK.

The map creation tool works with a pretty neat algorithm, the problem is understanding what all the parameters actually do. The game should at least give a little explantion via a tooltip or something imo.

MtNak
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MtNak »

Thank you Teurlinx :) Hadn't read that.

Yes, there should be a tooltip or tutorial explaining it.

squisher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by squisher »

I've noticed a lot more nests that have a ton of worms, too. Even the big blue worms, on a nest in a fresh map. I do think they needed better defense, so worms are fine, but they shouldn't have blue worms until they've evolved enough to spawn blue biters. Those things are insane..

Edit: I just scrolled down on the screenshot. Holy crap, I've definitely not had *that* kind of worm density lol. But I havent gotten that far in a 0.10.0 map yet.

Return to “Gameplay Help”