Embarrassed about my first pipe attempt

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
happyemi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Embarrassed about my first pipe attempt

Post by happyemi »

Ok just started extracting crude oil for the first time and I already have a couple of questions. I know there are several threads about pipes behavior, but this is really basic stuff I couldn't find anywhere.

I have ~10 pumpjacks very close together, each one producing a flow of ~0.5 crude oil per second (very low yield :(, I know ). All these pumps outputs are connected together with pipes and the "final" pipeline goes into a factory to produce barrels. It's basically a all-to-all connection.
The pipeline is VERY short. I think there are less than 10-20 pipe units between any pump and the factory and the whole configuration really fits in a zoomed in screen.

Now, if I hover the mouse over the final pipe tile (the one that goes into the factory), I would expect to see 5 crude oil per second (i.e. 0.5 oil/sec * 10 pumps) but instead I normally get the usual low pressure reading (around 0/0.1).
Why is that?

BTW adding pumpjacks definitely lowered the barrel production, so this configuration is working, I just don't understand why that doesn't show up in the pipes reading.

Zappes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Embarrassed about my first pipe attempt

Post by Zappes »

Your factory extracts oil from the pipe, only what's left is displayed.

happyemi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by happyemi »

Zappes wrote:Your factory extracts oil from the pipe, only what's left is displayed.
Oh, so the fact a pipe reads 0 liquid only means that I'm producing less than I could consume. I see, thanks

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Zappes wrote:Your factory extracts oil from the pipe, only what's left is displayed.
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying...

You saying the throughput is being displayed, not the current contents of that section of pipe. Right?
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

you may be able to see a higher flow rate if you connect all your pumpjacks to a storage tank first, then your oil-2-barrel assembler to the tank. Assuming you are not baby-sitting the operation, it may even result in faster throughput, as there is a larger pool of oil for the assembler to draw from.

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

Pipe readout does not show flow rate, it shows amount of liquid in pipe (presumably after the last tick update), since 1 barreling factory outpaces your oil production (probably by more then 10 to1, dont remember numbers off hand), the factory is sucking up all the oil in the last pipe every tick and you're left with an empty pipe.

Return to “Gameplay Help”