A bunch of newbie questions

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Corvus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

A bunch of newbie questions

Post by Corvus »

I have just finished the tutorial missions, and have some basic questions:
  • How do I deselect something? I mean, after clicking an item in the quickbar (that's the name right?), is there another way to get it back there other than clicking an empty spot in the quickbar again?
  • I have seen a screenshot somewhere where somebody has a double quickbar. Is this an option or something?
  • I also get the impression that there are a lot of items "floating around", on conveyors, in furnaces etc. Is it common to have a "treasure room" in your base to keep all of your stuff or will this be solved when I start building real production lines? Or do you usually have a chest at the end of a production line?
  • I am very eager to start playing in freeplay mode, or is it advisable to continue with the campaign after the demo/tutorial?
That's all for now, thanks :)

murillokb
Inserter
Inserter

Re: A bunch of newbie questions

Post by murillokb »

1 - press Q to deselect stuff or change weapons
2,3, and 4 - keep playing and you will find it out, mate. You can finish the capaing and start a freeplay map. I personaly am gonna wait till the campaing is finished to play it. For now i only play o freeplay :)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Corvus wrote:How do I deselect something? I mean, after clicking an item in the quickbar (that's the name right?), is there another way to get it back there other than clicking an empty spot in the quickbar again?
Q key.
Corvus wrote:I have seen a screenshot somewhere where somebody has a double quickbar. Is this an option or something?
There's a research called "Toolbelt" that gives your double quickbar.
Corvus wrote:I also get the impression that there are a lot of items "floating around", on conveyors, in furnaces etc. Is it common to have a "treasure room" in your base to keep all of your stuff or will this be solved when I start building real production lines? Or do you usually have a chest at the end of a production line?
That's up to you, but most people put chests at the end of a line to store the extra resources.
Corvus wrote:I am very eager to start playing in freeplay mode, or is it advisable to continue with the campaign after the demo/tutorial?
Again up to you, but the scenario levels will teach you a lot of stuff.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Corvus wrote:I also get the impression that there are a lot of items "floating around", on conveyors, in furnaces etc. Is it common to have a "treasure room" in your base to keep all of your stuff or will this be solved when I start building real production lines? Or do you usually have a chest at the end of a production line?
I started out with chests at the end of the line, but in my last factory i went for a big central storage with help of a circuit network and active provider / storage chests. Works great, and it's not that hard to build :-) I would suggest you do whatever works best for you, and experiment a bit on the way.

Corvus wrote:I am very eager to start playing in freeplay mode, or is it advisable to continue with the campaign after the demo/tutorial?
There is a very good campaign mission where you need to build a train. The following missions aren't that good, but maybe play until you get to that. But do whatever works best for you; freeplay is the best part about factorio in my opinion.

Sander Buruma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sander Buruma »

in my opinion Arumba's youtube letsplay videos are very educational. I say play on freeplay with default settings. The map is infinite and there are no limits to what you can do and you aren't forced to do anything except focus on teching up. In the campaign you have to go through a ton of hoops. That said read up on the wiki and the forum.

Corvus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Corvus »

Thank you for the answers everyone.

I'm too impatient and will start with freeplay I guess :)

I am currently watching all of OfficialStuffPlus' let's play videos and will use them for guidance.

Return to “Gameplay Help”