Game runs slow

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Corvus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Game runs slow

Post by Corvus »

Hello,

I bought the game yesterday and started playing right away. I noticed some kind of "lag" when playing, especially when running, but didn't really pay much attention to it (although it's quite hindering).

But today I checked out some let's play videos on youtube and noticed the gaming running much smoother there than on my computer.

I'm playing the game on a rather powerful HP EliteBook 8770w with 12 GB RAM and 8 cores, in Full HD.

The FPS is about 28 when in full screen, when running windowed mode the lag is less prominent at 40 fps, but it's still quite slow when compared to what I see on YouTube.

Please help!

Thanks.

Corvus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Game runs slow

Post by Corvus »

Hmmm I've been playing around with the graphics options but these don't seem to change that much. However the slow FPS option makes the game run a lot faster. The FPS seems capped at 30 with this option enabled... not sure why it runs smoother than 40-50 fps, but it seems to do the trick.

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

I get an issue too, the game runs at normal speed, but every few minutes I get a quick "pause" for like a second. I am running the 64 bit, I have an Intel I7 6 core and 16Gb ram. I can run some very powerful games with no issues, so it has to do something with the settings. Its not a bug, so I am placing the post here.

Any help would be much appreciated. If you need additional info, let me know.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Hogweed wrote:I get an issue too, the game runs at normal speed, but every few minutes I get a quick "pause" for like a second. I am running the 64 bit, I have an Intel I7 6 core and 16Gb ram. I can run some very powerful games with no issues, so it has to do something with the settings. Its not a bug, so I am placing the post here.

Any help would be much appreciated. If you need additional info, let me know.
That could be the autosave, it's known to make the game pause for a second while it's working. I've increased the time between autosaves because it was bothering me.
Ignore this

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

Ahhh, yes it was set to 2 minutes, so i moved it up to 10. Thanks for the help!

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

you could also increase the amount of threads you allow factorio to use if you start to lag. ;)
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

I found that increasing max threads doesn't do much. I have a hexacore(6) CPU, and it doesn't matter if I run it with 2 or 6 threads if I get a lower fps/tickrate.
Ignore this

Corvus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Corvus »

Gammro wrote:I found that increasing max threads doesn't do much. I have a hexacore(6) CPU, and it doesn't matter if I run it with 2 or 6 threads if I get a lower fps/tickrate.
Yes same here (8 cores)

middle_manager
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by middle_manager »

Try increasing the priority of the game on task manager

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

middle_manager wrote:Try increasing the priority of the game on task manager
nice

Zordah
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zordah »

Corvus wrote:However the slow FPS option makes the game run a lot faster. The FPS seems capped at 30 with this option enabled... not sure why it runs smoother than 40-50 fps, but it seems to do the trick.
I started playing Factorio on my laptop while away for work and it was running really slow.
Setting "low_fps=true" in the config.ini worked a treat and it runs just like at home on my desktop now :D

Return to “Gameplay Help”