Another train signal help!

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Gorge87
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Another train signal help!

Post by Gorge87 »

Hello! Sorry, my english level is too low :oops:
I have problems with train signals. I have seen a couple of tutorials, but I dont understand how works a normal/chain signal.

I want to do this, but I dont know how.

Or Do I need other path?

Thanks!

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Another train signal help!

Post by mergele »

Rails are divided into rail segment. A segment contains all rail pieces that are connected to each other, while signals seperate them. So if you place a straight line every signal you place adds another segment. While if you make a circle the first signal has no effect since the two rail pieces next to the signal are still connected the other way around the circle. A train may enter into another segment if at the separation point there is a signal on the right side. From this it follows that if you place a signal on both sides of the track trains may cross these signals in both directions. If on the segment a signal leads to there already is a train the signal turns red, blocking any train. Chain signals are a bit more complicated because they take into consideration only the segment they lead to, but also the segment the individual train would want to enter next. If the signal leading into this next segment would block the train the chain signal already blocks.

So to come to your specific problem, where do you need signals to seperate the specific segments? Answer:

Each of those bays needs to be seperated from the main movement loop or therwise a train sitting in one of those would prevent all other trains from moving. And you need signals on both sides of the track because trains need to both enter and exit those bays through there.

Now,where do you need chain signals instead of normal signals?
Easy answer, all the signals leading into the central hub need to be chain signals,the ones leading to the bays in this case can be both chain or normal signal.

You can further increase the throughput by seperating the central hub.

Nebrot2k
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nebrot2k »

Something that i do whenever i create such a circle intersection as you have:
On every Exit: Signal
On every Entry: ChainSignal

Important: Signal After the intersection, chain-signal before.

Gorge87
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gorge87 »

Wow, this works.
Thx!

Return to “Gameplay Help”