Charging bots

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
DyingDragon12
Inserter
Inserter

Charging bots

Post by DyingDragon12 »

So what i understand (I have NOT played the game) the only way to Charge Bots is to make more Roboports or put Chargers on a Vehicle (Train/Tank or maybe on the Pocket Car) So is that the only way to Charge Robots or can you put down a Building to do it without adding more Robots?

If so PLEASE Leave a Comment or Pm me i dont mind either
Thanks!

~~~DyingDragon12~~~

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Charging bots

Post by Boogieman14 »

You need roboports to establish a robotic network. These roboports also provide charging spots. You'll still need to add your own robots, so number of robots has nothing to do wiht number of roboports in the network (other than that the network can only support as many robots as there's space in roboports, but a single roboport can hold a number of stacks)

But why are you wondering about these things when you don't even play them game? Start playing and this stuff becomes clear pretty quickly :)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Dasani
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dasani »

Boogieman14 wrote: But why are you wondering about these things when you don't even play them game? Start playing and this stuff becomes clear pretty quickly :)
Might be some weird pre-req he has to play it. Personally when I scope out a RPG-ish type game I always check out what classes are available and what they can do and races if any are playable and so on before buying it. Sometimes the way certain things are done are just more enjoyable.

As for the OP, Roboports and personal roboports (that you can equip to your personal armor) are the only ways to charge robots. Roboports don't really add robots, all they do is offer recharging stations and extend the area that all the robots connected to that particular network will operate in and provide storage space for robots when they aren't actively working. You have to build the robots separately.

It would be nice if you could build simple recharging stations that were seperate and that the robots would be smart enough to actually use them, I can't tell ya how many times some progress gets held up because theres like 30 robots all waiting to be charged at the same roboport and it can only service I believe 4 at once.

DyingDragon12
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DyingDragon12 »

yea cause from what i hear low power bots are a pain in the butt for many reasons

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Moved to Gameplay Help.

Roboports have a pretty simple algorithm to determine what roboport to charge at.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Robotic_netwo ... r_charging
Normally a robot flies to the nearest roboport to recharge. If the queue on that roboport is too long, they eventually choose another port. This is specified by the ratio of <distance to different roboport in tiles> / <queue size of robots waiting>.

Currently, to choose the more distant roboport, the distance must be at most <Number of robots in the queue and on the way> / 2.

So, to choose a roboport that is 10 tiles more distant, it has to have 20 less robots waiting in the queue.
When I have a roboport where I notice robots are queueing up then I just build a second roboport directly next to it, or 4 roboports in a square grid. That way I haven't had problems with too many robots queueing up in a long time. The only issue there is that you have to have space for the additional roboport(s), so planning from the beginning or moving nearby factories is required.

There are also some mods that could help you:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Peppe/Robo-Charge-1x1 adds a 1x1 charging station
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/TheViperZ/Better_Robots adds extra robot research for logistics robots and lowers energy consumption
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Malryn/NuclearRobots adds robots that don't have to recharge
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/BenSeide ... 20Charging allows robots to wirelessly charge
Some big mods (e.g. Bobs) also have advanced roboports / recharging stations.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

DyingDragon12
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DyingDragon12 »

Thanks For The Information!

Foreros
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Foreros »

But I want to ask something about this argument.
I have watched carefully at a single roboport.
I've seen recently added robot go to charge when others that already are at the roboport still here to wait.
Is it a bug or something else that I have to report?
Or is it a wanted issue?

DyingDragon12
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DyingDragon12 »

maybe new(er) bots are put at certain priorities because they are newer or because of their distance

Return to “Gameplay Help”