Could anyone manage a more compact design of this?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Could anyone manage a more compact design of this?

Post by Xarovin »

I'm attempting the 1 rocket per minute thing and I'm just planning the speed module part, I found that having 4 max loaded blue belts got me 95% of the speed modules, which was super annoying, and an extra 2 belts has made everything messy.

Basically, each belt is split in half, then the different colours are joined together (the 3rd belt has one half going above and one going below). The third belt is split again, and joined with the outputs of first two belts.
Above is a working but messy attempt, below is the general layout: http://i.imgur.com/eniS0Ts.jpg

As another way of putting it, I guess with an R*3+G*3 input, I'd like an (RG)*8 output.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Could anyone manage a more compact design of this?

Post by impetus maximus »

one thing i see that might help you.
rather than having both halves of a belt load one half of another, use the underground trick.
underground.exploit.png

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

Thanks, forgot you could do it that way, I've now got a somewhat less messy/more symmetrical design I'm happy with :)

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

glad to help. :)

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Funny, I ran into the same question, also aiming for a rocket a minute :). I had the problem for Low-Density Structures, where I combine the plastic and copper belts.

I came up with this;

blueprint
Edit, sorry just noted that you actually want to split 2x3 belts into 8 merged belts, which is a different problem. Hope it helps anyway :)

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

Haha thanks anyway, slightly odd coincidence but I only just did the lower density structures straight before the speed modules :P

I went for a slightly different approach, I'm attempting to keep each row of assemblers limited to 1 belt if possible (and just adjust the amount of assemblers to match), so I went for a 50/25/25 split. If any of the 25% resources reach the end of the row, they'll feed back into the start again to keep an even split, and there's 8x10 assemblers, which gives just over 550 LDS (also works well with advanced circuits).

For the record I'm pretty much using the same design for everything lol, I'm just dreading trying to get fluids working with it too.

Edit: lol, just noticed an error near the middle of the design, I'll try remember to fix it tomorrow :P

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

For inspiration, here is my LDS design:

I like to keep racks simple, beacons allow a belt+inserter on each side, so where possible I just use two belts. Since LDS has three inputs, I decided to place steel and the output on a single belt.

I have 6x12 assemblers at 5.5 speed, so theoretically they can produce 72*5.5*1.4*2 = 1100 LDS/min, which should be enough :)

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

Nice, although I like the boxed in style of mine, literally everything else is better about yours haha, also the output on the same belt is a nice idea. If you remember, post back here once you finish it all, it'd be interesting to see how you did the other bits :)

With your calculation, I'm not sure where you got the 1.4 and 2 from, but putting in my current values results in a maximum of 616 (red belts are at 75% load though so in reality it's just above 550), it gives an excuse for building more stuff though so I'm not complaining haha

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

2 (per minute) is the base production of LDS (30 seconds per LDS, 60 seconds per minute). 1.4 is 4 productivity modules.

(remember that you also need 100 LDS per minute for the sattelite, so to produce 1 rocket per minute I think you need 100 + 1000/1.4=814 LDS per minute, right?)

I will post a thread when I launch the 1000th rocket and/or production is stable. I'm aiming to keep one launch site with 12 beacons continuously working, which should be close to 1 rocket/min (speed=6.4, so 2 parts per second, so 50 seconds for 100 parts, plus about 10 seconds for the launch animation)

I've been posting most of my designs on the forum as I create them, mostly so I don't lose the blueprint strings :):

- green (viewtopic.php?f=202&t=33355#p210326)
- red(+green) (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37859)
- blue (+red+green) (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37858)
- refinery (outdated) (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35800)
- smelting (viewtopic.php?f=202&t=33375)
- nucular power plant (viewtopic.php?f=93&t=21676&start=100#p229100)
- RCU + LDS: (viewtopic.php?f=202&t=38301)

Note that I 'cheat' on outposts, I replace natural ore patches by eternal ore patches in a perfect circle because I can't be arsed to build a new outpost with custom mining shape every 10 minutes (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36575)
Last edited by vanatteveldt on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

Those designs are pretty cool, so you have a more or less working factory now, just need to iron out some problems? I'm eventually going to try without mods once factorio leaves beta, for now though this is more proof of concept, I'm not building by hand when they're updating the game so fast haha.

And yeah I didn't forget about the satellite (I went as far as using excel this time round lol). I'm mainly designing it as modules so I can easily duplicate stuff, like for example, the iron one produces about 4900/m, so I need 12x for steel, 9x for electronic circuits, and 1x for everything else. I did however totally forget to factor in productivity modules, so cheers for pointing that out. It's only speed modules and LDS I planned out that way, so I guess I can go back to the simpler speed module design I had before posting this :P

One thing I was wondering though when looking at hooking a rocket up with circuits, is there any way to automatically launch it?

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

Yeah, I'm at 450 rockets now :). I keep chasing the bottleneck, which now seems to be RCU's, so I just increased my RCU capacity. Everything is designed to be easily tilable, and I use rails to connect all the different bits, so it should scale pretty well.

Design post for RCU + LDS: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=38301

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

Obliterator2 wrote:One thing I was wondering though when looking at hooking a rocket up with circuits, is there any way to automatically launch it?
Nothing vanilla, although I think the possibility exists for version 0.15. At the moment, there's a couple of mods that will do it. I personally use Score Extended, which offer a checkbox that will automatically launch the rocket once a satellite has been loaded into it.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I use launch control, but score extended looks much nicer, thanks for the tip!

Return to “Gameplay Help”