Vanilla Triggers for Rocket Launching?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Vanilla Triggers for Rocket Launching?

Post by Mehve »

I'm laying down stuff for a rocket launching complex. The target time is 30 seconds/launch, which means that multiple rocket launching platforms are needed. Additionally, I'm trying to stagger the launches uniformly, rather then have them batch launched. This means that I can't just split up the three components and distribute them equally - I need to direct all parts to each rocket platform in turn, cycling through the platforms. Which isn't a problem in itself, I've already designed and verified the controls.

My problem is the trigger for switching to each platform in sequence. So far, the only three things I can think of to indicate that the rocket platform has taken on all the necessary components are 1) A pulse from the inserter loading a satellite onto the rocket, 2) The input lanes for the 3 components all simultaneously compress, and 3) Inactivity from all the inserters loading rocket parts. The first works simply and reliably, but there's a fairly long delay between the rocket getting enough components, opening the doors, raising the rocket, and FINALLY loading the satellite. The second and third are much quicker to detect, but I'm not sure how to translate their occurrence into one (and only one) circuit pulse, and then reset them until the next time that rocket platform's turn comes around.

I'm somewhere between novice and mediocre when it comes to using this game's circuit network - any applicable circuit methods out there that might be helpful?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Vanilla Triggers for Rocket Launching?

Post by DaveMcW »

Mehve wrote:The first works simply and reliably, but there's a fairly long delay between the rocket getting enough components, opening the doors, raising the rocket, and FINALLY loading the satellite.
If you limit satellite production below component production, you can eliminate the delay.

I recommend limiting processing unit insertion. You need 100 processing units per 30 seconds, or 3 processing units per 0.9 seconds with a fully upgraded fast inserter. 0.9 seconds = 54 ticks.

How to build a 54 tick clock
Decider combinator: A < 54, return A, connect input to output with green wire
Constant combinator: A = 1, connect to decider combinator with green wire
Fast inserter: A < 20, connect to decider combinator with green wire

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Vanilla Triggers for Rocket Launching?

Post by Mehve »

Damn, I didn't even think about that angle. I was planning on slight over-production of satellites to ensure they didn't become a bottleneck, but nothing says I can't just control exactly when they get loaded into a previously primed and raised rocket. Not sure if I can use that to reliably control the flow of rocket components, but as long as rocket component production outstrips the 30-second goal, I shouldn't even need to. Going to need to test this out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to “Gameplay Help”