How rare is rare ?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Hellenisma
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How rare is rare ?

Post by Hellenisma »

Hello,
Made a multiplayer game and set oil to to very low and now am unable to find it after few days of gameplay.
How rare does it make it ?

Here is the map view
http://image.prntscr.com/image/8e0a9abc ... 6e8cd0.png

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: How rare is rare ?

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

Well, I sure hope you didn't put too much effort into that save, because you just hit a very thick brick wall. :|

Setting oil to very low is basically a death wish, because without oil, your progress stagnates. With the way the resource generation is handled (especially oil) it's already hard [naturally] to find some resources, but setting the frequency to very low added the proverbial "cherry on top", if you catch my drift.

Don't worry, it's fixable. That is, if you're willing to use console commands [responsibly].

Here's a link to what i'm talking about:
Create a new Oil Well

Best of luck!
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Moved to gameplay help.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

I have a map where I set Oil frequency to Very low and size to Very small...I lucked out that there was 1 Oil field near my starting area, however, even after exploring about a half dozen Radar scanning area's worth of map area, and have still yet to find any more Oil fields, which means I am extremely oil constrained on that map I have plenty of everything else by this point, but can't really get any more oil until I luck out and actually find more Oil fields...fortunately Oil fields never run out completely of resources, but their depleted rate is quite slow (0.1 Crude oil/sec), thus my Crude oil income rate is capped very low in my current predicament.

GoldenPorkchop80
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GoldenPorkchop80 »

Frightning wrote:but their depleted rate is quite slow (0.1 Crude oil/sec), thus my Crude oil income rate is capped very low in my current predicament.
If you happen to find more oilfields, create a buffer. Just make a oil barrel manufacturing area and a extraction area. You'll have a steady flow of oil, regardless of the volatility of oil inputs (that is, if you buffered the flow enough.).

Just remember to make sure that the input total (peak input + low input) is more than or equal to the buffer output, or else your buffer will eventually fail, and will need to be rebuffered.
Contact me:
telnet.Telehack.com (My username is gpc80)
Steam
Twitch.tv
Reddit
Email:redrouster2000@gmail.com (Mods, Admins, and Game Devs ONLY! Anyone else will be blocked on my email, and on this forum)
Hamachi VPN: Please send me a PM for network info.
Forums: Send me a PM

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

GoldenPorkchop80 wrote:
Frightning wrote:but their depleted rate is quite slow (0.1 Crude oil/sec), thus my Crude oil income rate is capped very low in my current predicament.
If you happen to find more oilfields, create a buffer. Just make a oil barrel manufacturing area and a extraction area. You'll have a steady flow of oil, regardless of the volatility of oil inputs (that is, if you buffered the flow enough.).

Just remember to make sure that the input total (peak input + low input) is more than or equal to the buffer output, or else your buffer will eventually fail, and will need to be rebuffered.
The issue is time versus amount produced at this point, it doesn't matter that I had a decent windfall out of that Oil field at first now, it's produced about 3 times as much Crude oil since being depleted as it did before that happened (all in all a bit over 20,000 Crude oil so far). If I find additional Oil field(s), I will do what I did w/ the first one: set up a barrel train to move the oil in shipments of 400 barrels at a time (10,000 Crude oil).

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Ahah I had this problem, found this post. Save the game, then use this console command (need to use it twice to get around achievement warning):

Code: Select all

/c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface, {lefttop = {x = -2048, y = -2048}, rightbottom = {x = 2048, y = 2048}})
If you find oil, you can reload your save to re-enable achievements and such as long as you remember where it was. For me it revealed two patches of oil wells in the VERY top left of the area revealed, and that was it. Over 2,000 tiles distance from the starting area.

Note this command was used in 0.13 but don't think it will have changed.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “Gameplay Help”