Heating "Physics"

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
skillabstinenz
Inserter
Inserter

Heating "Physics"

Post by skillabstinenz »

http://picpaste.com/heatpipes-okseWNtG.jpg

I have some night steam setup: 1 pump, 14 boilers and 4x 2 tanks with 8 steam engines in parallel.

It‘s not the side output at the end, the same happens when the pipe is connected in line with the boilers. Something similar also happens in the standard 1:14:10 setup.

Somehow the last boiler is cooling the water. So what‘s wrong?

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Heating "Physics"

Post by mexmer »

you need to build your stuff in proper order. see here
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=37453
or here
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=31917

skillabstinenz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skillabstinenz »

LOLWUT

Build it from south/pump to north/engine and it just works!
The build order doesn‘t seem to matter though.
If I only knew this before…. http://picpaste.com/nvss-mZOg6Cm0.jpg

And that‘s why I hate steam and pipes, it‘s even more random than the old trains.

Any other weird things I need to know?

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

skillabstinenz wrote:LOLWUT

Build it from south/pump to north/engine and it just works!
The build order doesn‘t seem to matter though.
If I only knew this before…. http://picpaste.com/nvss-mZOg6Cm0.jpg

And that‘s why I hate steam and pipes, it‘s even more random than the old trains.

Any other weird things I need to know?
South->north inserters are a teeny tiny bit slower than any other direction, IIRC.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Hot water in pipes lose their heat pretty quickly so all those pipes between the boilers and tanks is lost energy
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Hot water in pipes lose their heat pretty quickly so all those pipes between the boilers and tanks is lost energy
i disagree, since otherwise, how can you explain that in "proper" build piping even last steam engine still has 100C water.
yet when you mess up build order, you can have 90C in first pipe behind boiler.

heat loss is quite low, unless you mess with fluid flow, and create in spot circulating flow, that extends "virtual" flow by so large margin, that temperature starts dropping.

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Hot water in pipes lose their heat pretty quickly so all those pipes between the boilers and tanks is lost energy
I've never noticed *any* sort of heat loss; I've had a few situations where the water coming out of the boilers was <100 degrees, but never seen my water losing temperature in either storage or transport. Can you show us your heat-killing setup?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

If I remember and get time I'll check again. I remember a little while ago I had the standard 1-14-10 setup except there was an obstacle for one of the steam engines and I had to put a pipe to link it to the next one, suddenly last boiler is operating at ~70% for no reason.

Also nuclear FFF mentioned heat loss when transporting through pipes if I remember correctly.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:If I remember and get time I'll check again. I remember a little while ago I had the standard 1-14-10 setup except there was an obstacle for one of the steam engines and I had to put a pipe to link it to the next one, suddenly last boiler is operating at ~70% for no reason.

Also nuclear FFF mentioned heat loss when transporting through pipes if I remember correctly.
steam will loose heat on distance in 0.15
fluids do not loose heat atm. unless mixed with "colder" fluid. that's what is shown on my video in linked topic.

fluid mechanic is "wonky" at best. if you build straight line, you expect straight fluid flow. yet there are discrepancies,

first - orientation - for some reason south/north oriented pipes have some "issues" and might have temperature or fluid troughput drop - as stated in another linked topic),

second - build order - if you build offshore, then engines, then you place boilers inbetween, flow will not be straight line, but will do some wonky things between two boiler block connect points resulting in loss of temperature varying from 1C to almost 30C ... cause is unknown, because fluid mechanic is "magic" :D (something nobody wants to touch, unless really necessary, according to kovarex)

you might find some other funny things, while playing around with pipes. like, why the heck my chemical plant, that is next to tank, has 0-0.5 petroleum input, while other plant (5 pipes away) is full? and other similar issues.

Return to “Gameplay Help”