Bob's Mods - where's the salt?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Bob's Mods - where's the salt?

Post by bunnzy »

Hello,

I'm playing through with Bob's mods, and now I'm stuck because I can't make salt.
http://kovarex.com/wiki/index.php?title ... %27s_Mods)

I've got a chemical furnace, I've done ALL the red+green research. I can't see salt in there as a recipe. So I'm stuck :(

I'm using Arumba's mod pack, but updated to the latest versions with have Angel's Ores in there but not Angel's chems and stuff (that blew my mind).

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Bob's Mods - where's the salt?

Post by Mr. Tact »

I think you get it out of water? Never actually played Bob's but watched some Let's Plays...
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Salt and Water in a Chemical Furnace (the red one, possibly locked behind a chemical processing tech, should be red science)

If you have Angels Mods the recipes are different depending on if you also have petrochem installed.

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

Nexela wrote:Salt and Water in a Chemical Furnace (the red one, possibly locked behind a chemical processing tech, should be red science)

If you have Angels Mods the recipes are different depending on if you also have petrochem installed.
Hello :)

No, I don't have Angel's petrol chems because I got super confused and decided to start off a bit slower with just Bob's mods and Angel's ores.

I did unlock the the right chemical processing sciences, and I've got the chemical furnace, but no recipe seems to appear to make salt :( I've linked to some screenshots of what recipes I can make in my chemical furnace:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =804573275
and
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =804573375

And there's no mention of "salt" anywhere in my tech tree:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =804573470

Would a list of my installed mods be helpful? It could be that I've included wrong mods, or am missing a mod out. Here are my steam screenshots, I've screenshotted all my mods. I have quite a few, so easier than typing them all out, I hope that's not a pain in the arse. http://steamcommunity.com/id/bunnzy/scr ... s/?appid=0

I just want to say a huge thanks, I always get really awesome advice here on the forums :)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I believe Angels Ores slightly changes salt also to require Saline Water and possibly made in one of Angels Machines

The easiest way to find it would be to open your crafting (or tech) menu, use the the magnifying glass on the top right to search for "salt"
I see you already did that.

99% sure it is something with angels changing it. Lemme see what I can find.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Did you use angels-petrochem on your save at all? if so you might have to re-enable the salt recipe

This "might" be what you need

/c game.player.force.recipes["salt"].enabled = true

Alternatively Angels Refining should have a salt water electrolysis 2 recipe that uses saline-water instead of salt in a water treatment plant.
Last edited by Nexela on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

Nexela wrote:Did you use angels-petrochem on your save at all? if so you might have to re-enable the salt recipe

/c game.player.force.recipe["salt"].enabled = true

Alternatively Angels Refining should have a salt water electrolysis 2 recipe that uses saline-water instead of salt in a water treatment plant.
Ok I'll give that a go and see :) Back soon!

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

Nexela wrote:Did you use angels-petrochem on your save at all? if so you might have to re-enable the salt recipe

/c game.player.force.recipe["salt"].enabled = true

Sorry about the delay, another big earthquake here, ugh.

I tried the command and it came up with an error or sorts, here's a screenie: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =804633833

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Sorry, should be recipes not recipe, I have updated the post above.

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

Woohoo! You're a star :D :D

Just for you: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =804641993

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

EDIT: I did /c game.player.force.recipes["salt-water-electrolysis"].enabled = true on a guess, and it worked. but still, do you think I should just start again? :D

hmmm, now I seem to have the same problem, but with sodium hydroxide, particularly this recipe in the electrolyser : http://factorio.rotol.me/pack/bobmods-f ... -hydroxide
It does not appear in my electrolyser at all.

Do you have any advice on how I can activate this one? maybe like I did salt above? I have researched electrolysis 2.

nowhere in my tech tree is there any mention of hydrogen, chlorine or sodium hydroxide. :( I wonder if this is going to continue to happen? Should I start a new game?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

They come under I think "Salt Water Electrolysis" which gives Sodium Hydroxide (by the bucket), Chlorine and Hydrogen, and "Water Electrolysis" which gives Oxygen and Hydrogen.

Can be a bit tricky to find how to produce something sometimes, first time making Sulphur is interesting as the only recipe you can find is "make it out of this gas which is made out of sulphur" ._. lol I find typically the easiest way is to find the research that unlocks the final item you're trying to create, then check its dependencies.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

Yeah, I'm running into that too. I go find out what I need, see what it entails on the wiki, then see if I have researched it. I'm finding more often than not that I have and the recipe doesn't exist, like with the salt beforehand. I think this game is a write-off, even after all the work I've done!
I've decided to start again!
Thank you for your help, I learnt a lot about how to use the command line. Very cool.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

You dont need to force activate anything. Salt-water come from the hydro plant, which can be put through a electrolyser.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

With Bob's mods only salt is easy to get by putting water into chemical furnace. Sodium hydroxide from salt water electrolysis is stuff for what I had to install void chest mod. But Angel changes it completely. There is no (I have not found) salt itself and only way to get sodium hydroxide is to electrolyse salt water from water purification. At least I had severe lack of sodium hydroxide which reduced my aluminium production. I had to collect hydroxide from every water purification plant and put several plant's output straight to clarifiers. And when I began to make rocket fuel I had to make 16 plants to produce just sodium hydroxide and chlorine even my production rate is ridiculously low compared my vanilla bases. My rocket control unit production is 11 per minute (I have another mod which requires cyan level 8 module, which makes things slow), but fuel is the limiting factor. Clarifiers can not even use speed modules so that I have to cover vast areas with them to get decent launch rate.

I like Angel's ore, refinery and petrochemical mods very much but in my opinion there should be more practical way to get large amounts of salt water. Maybe rare salt water ponds, side product from lithium production from thermal water or from some ore processing.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Chemical Furnace + Water = Salt.
Salt + Water = Salt Water (for electrolysis).

I'm playing Bob's mods right now and those recipes should have shown up in your crafting menu.

fractalman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by fractalman »

bunnzy wrote:Yeah, I'm running into that too. I go find out what I need, see what it entails on the wiki, then see if I have researched it. I'm finding more often than not that I have and the recipe doesn't exist, like with the salt beforehand. I think this game is a write-off, even after all the work I've done!
I've decided to start again!
Thank you for your help, I learnt a lot about how to use the command line. Very cool.
You can leave the base as-is and use commands to turn all your reasearch off. You'll unlock things properly as you re-reasearch everything.

Hannu wrote:With Bob's mods only salt is easy to get by putting water into chemical furnace. Sodium hydroxide from salt water electrolysis is stuff for what I had to install void chest mod. But Angel changes it completely. There is no (I have not found) salt itself and only way to get sodium hydroxide is to electrolyse salt water from water purification. At least I had severe lack of sodium hydroxide which reduced my aluminium production. I had to collect hydroxide from every water purification plant and put several plant's output straight to clarifiers. And when I began to make rocket fuel I had to make 16 plants to produce just sodium hydroxide and chlorine even my production rate is ridiculously low compared my vanilla bases. My rocket control unit production is 11 per minute (I have another mod which requires cyan level 8 module, which makes things slow), but fuel is the limiting factor. Clarifiers can not even use speed modules so that I have to cover vast areas with them to get decent launch rate.

I like Angel's ore, refinery and petrochemical mods very much but in my opinion there should be more practical way to get large amounts of salt water. Maybe rare salt water ponds, side product from lithium production from thermal water or from some ore processing.
Personally I just use steam engines as void pipes. I haven't done very rigorous testing, but I think the higher tier steam engines will delete fluid faster.
Bushdoctor wrote:Chemical Furnace + Water = Salt.
Salt + Water = Salt Water (for electrolysis).

I'm playing Bob's mods right now and those recipes should have shown up in your crafting menu.
He's also got angels, some of which disable some bob's recipes.

Return to “Gameplay Help”