Tight Spot Challenge Thread

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
jcdietz03
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Tight Spot Challenge Thread

Post by jcdietz03 »

So you have to design a factory in as small a space as possible. It must be possible to do so using underground belts more, but I do not understand how to do this. That is, achieve a space efficient design by using lots of underground belts.

And I'm not sure about my furnace design either. Minimum you need two belts, I think. Because furnaces have two inputs and one output, so you need at least one belt for the two inputs and a separate belt for outputs to avoid mix-ups. So you either have a long line of furnaces that's 5-wide (furnace [2]+inserter row[1]+IO belts [2]) or you have a double row of furnaces that's 8-wide (add to the previous design another inserter row[1]+furnace[2]). That's a ton of space! Any way to be more efficient?

Then:
For level 2 you must build electronic circuits (EC). So for that you need:
1) 3x copper wire + 1x iron plate = 1 EC
2) 1x copper plate = 2x copper wire
Each of these steps has a build time of 0.5 sec.
Iron plate and copper plate have a build time of 3.5 sec (stone furnace).

Assuming we want to run 1 EC assembler at 100% output, we need 6x wire and 2x iron plate per sec.
6x wire: needs 3x copper plate per sec to produce.
But max output of one wire assembler is 4 wires/sec so you'll need two wire assembler. That's OK since it's possible to set things up such that the output of both wire assembler is directed to the input of the EC assembler (without a belt).
Since 3.5 stone furnaces produce 1 plate per sec you need 10.5 stone furnaces for 3 copper plate per sec. And you will need 6 copper drills (they produce 1 ore every 2 sec).
And by the same logic 7 furnaces for 2x iron plate/sec and 4 iron drills.

Do winning designs for this level really have that much stuff (18 furnace)? Anyone have a winning design with more than one EC assembler?
2/sec @ 15 each = 30/sec = 1800/minute = 16200 (for 9 minutes worth of production). So we should win if even if we have a very negative balance to start.

If we restrict to one wire assembler only, that could make a more compact design w/12 furnaces that wins over the 18-furnace one. But I don't know.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tight Spot Challenge Thread

Post by ssilk »

This is better in the help board
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”