limits modules?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

limits modules?

Post by nuhll »

Hi,
what are the limits for beacons? can i use as many as i want? does all modules work for all types of machines and products?

Edit; oh i see now i can only use it for speed modules, so should i add productity in the machines itself, or just double speed?

I ask for furnaces and oil production/mining oil (nbut i think theres speed better)

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: limits modules?

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I thought productivity worked in beacons too? There isn't a limit to them other than what you can place within range although the energy they consume is more than you'll save using efficiency modules so don't bother with them. Productivity or speed should work fine.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: limits modules?

Post by Frightning »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:I thought productivity worked in beacons too? There isn't a limit to them other than what you can place within range although the energy they consume is more than you'll save using efficiency modules so don't bother with them. Productivity or speed should work fine.
Productivity modules can only be used in machines that are making intermediate products, they can never be in Beacons. Beacons are 3x3 by provide 50% of their contained module's effects to buildings that occupy at least one of the 9x9 area centered on them (so 3 tiles around them in all directions). Practically speaking this means: For a scalable layout, the most beacons you can have per 3x3 assembler is 8 (1 row of beacons on each side), the beacons can be up to 2 tiles away from the nearest side of the assembly machines and still affect them (so enough space to put inserter+chest as well as Substation for power. You can also achieve a maximum (scalable) layout of 8 assembly machines affected by every beacon (except possibly at the ends, depending on whether you want all machines to be affected by 8 beacons or not).

Since, Efficiency modules do not affect the energy drain of the beacon itself, there is little reason to use them in beacons because the beacon draws 480kW itself (more than you will save from it's effect). This makes Speed modules the 'obvious' choice, and doing this is with Productivity modules in the assembly machines where possible is very synergistic, as Productivity modules have a speed penalty that is offset additively by Speed modules, hence the energy per product is actually decreased while throughput is increased significantly...all the while reaping the benefits of the productivity bonus as well.

Return to “Gameplay Help”