How to know if chest is full

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Maremick
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How to know if chest is full

Post by Maremick »

I want to send a signal if a chest is full or a number of slots are full or taken.
Do you know how to. With mod or other, i did not find anything.

Thanks.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to know if chest is full

Post by impetus maximus »

add a wire to the chest and the number of items will be output on that wire. wire it to a combinator and you can have it output the input count or 1.
i have it outputing iron 1 here if the chest is full of iron (> 2399), but it can output whatever signal you want.
chest.output.jpg

Maremick
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Maremick »

Thanks but I do not want to have to specify the type of object. And I want it to be managed in the same way with stack of 10 items such 500.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

What is your master plan? I don't see how knowing this could be useful.

Maremick
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Maremick »

I want a blueprint for outposts with trains. With a train that will recover the resources only when the outpost is full. Regardless of the item that is produced there.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Maremick wrote:I want a blueprint for outposts with trains. With a train that will recover the resources only when the outpost is full. Regardless of the item that is produced there.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have a train stationed there with the condition to wait until the train inventory is full?
You would prevent the outpost from buffering too much resources as the train always departs as soon it is full and not when the chests are full, which probably have more storage space than the train.
Also, the resources are available elsewhere faster as you don't have to wait for the train to arrive and be filled until it can depart.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Linosaurus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Linosaurus »

You cannot check this directly, but you can do workarounds. For example. Instead of belt->inserter->chest you want to be full, you can do belt->inserter->other chest->inserter->chest you want to be full. And then you check if the other chest has more than say 15 items in it, because then the chest you care about is almost certainly full. Might also want to wire the first inserter to not keep filling the other chest once it has more than 15 items, in order for things to work better once your train starts picking things up.

Return to “Gameplay Help”