Blueprint train unloading

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Blueprint train unloading

Post by nuhll »

Hi,
someone has a nice blueprint for unload trains maybe with some waiting bays? 2-3?

Unloading with belts ofc. :) Currently i unload with robots, but i think its too much energy waste..

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Blueprint train unloading

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

There are a TON of different designs depending on what you want. Usually you'll unload from the train to chests, then from chests to belts. This unloads the train faster so it can continue on its route, and the next train can enter, while ensuring that there is a steady stream of resource going onto the belts.

Then it depends on what you want to do with the resource. Merge it to 2 lanes? 4? Each side of a train carriage unloads onto three belts (one inserter per belt lane) and you can use splitters to balance them however you want from there. If size is an issue you can sacrifice balance, or if throughput is priority then balance away.

What's the point of Factorio if you're just going to rip off everyone else's designs? ^^
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I dont care. I looked on the forums and searched for it, but found nothing but outdated things.

If i have fun in factorio copy other things, then i do it :roll:

Should be able to handle blue belt 2 or 3 are okay. balanced if possible. atleast 2 or 3 waiting bays for trains. train -> inserter -> chest -> inserter -> belt

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

*shrug* suit yourself, there's a bunch of designs here

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:*shrug* suit yourself, there's a bunch of designs here
And where excatly there is a Blueprint? :roll:

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Most people don't play with the blueprint strings mod, especially now achievements only work in vanilla. Come 0.15 there may be vanilla blueprint serialisation but until then you'll just have to build it yourself =P

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Yeah, seems like i have to do that. For everything you find blueprints except unloading :P

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Achievements were introduced in 0.13 along with stack inserters and new circuit stuff that changed how we unload trains so yeah I'm not really surprised at that =P

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

The problem with train station blueprints that there's simply too many variables.

The length of the train varies, and because of the odd number of spaces that each locomotive/car uses, combined with the 2x2 spacing of rails, you can't just shift stuff left or right and expect it to automatically line up properly, so you have to decide on a specific train configuration. How deep of a waiting queue do you need, and which direction has the necessary open space? Your inserter setup will vary depending on what kind of throughput you need for the cargo - do you need 3 compressed blue belts coming off each car, or is one yellow belt more than enough? Do you need/want chest buffers? Is it important for the cars to be unloaded at the same rate? Do you need refuelling at the station, or is that handled elsewhere on the route?

Those are all variables that will alter how the station is designed.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Here is a thread I was somewhat involved in where some examples of train loading and unloading were bandied about, you could try them. I am pretty sure they only work horizontally, not vertically, but as long as you work around that limitation they are pretty good. They are not blueprints, only images, but they are not difficult to copy and then you can make your own blueprints for them.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

no blueprint needed for this one. two belts forming a T. connect inserters unloading the chests together & have Mode of operation, read hand contents (Hold), * = 0
this cuts out the need for a ton of splitters. all the chests get unloaded evenly. simple small footprint. combine sides/cars as needed with a splitter.
small.even.offload.jpg

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

excatly what im using atm...

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Just a note, all carriages are unloaded evenly but the chests are not. The 'inner' chests, closer to the centre where the belts merge, will not be unloaded until the 'outer' chests are empty because there is no room on the belt. This will slow the unloading of the train by maybe half, but it will still only take a few seconds and in most cases won't cause any real problems.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

the method i showed, and use doesn't allow the inserters to grab anything untill they have all dropped what they are holding. ;)

Return to “Gameplay Help”