Killing Big Worms without oil

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TherapyThief
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Killing Big Worms without oil

Post by TherapyThief »

So I started a new map with the Biter settings bumped up for extra difficulty, everything was going fine until I needed some oil. the nearest bit oil has quite a few large biter bases between it and my factory, the biters aren't a problem but the Big worms are. Without access to Oil I am having much trouble trying to kill the Big Worms to get at the oil so I can progresses with the game. I was wondering if any of the talented players here would be able to give me some tips on how I could resolve this situation. I really don't know what to do. I've tried defender capsules, car, turrets, fish, pretty much everything.

Thegrover
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Killing Big Worms without oil

Post by Thegrover »

Make heavy armour, pack a load of turrets and ammo, use the auto fill mod, then sprint full charge into the base placing turrets wherever there's space (hold lmb)

It's messy as hell, and you'll lose a few turrets, but it works

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Defender capsules help too ... Take loads of them :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Put couple of turrets just outside of worm's range to take care of spawning biters and throw poison capsules on worms.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hannu wrote:Put couple of turrets just outside of worm's range to take care of spawning biters and throw poison capsules on worms.
How can you get poison capsules without oil when you need oil to research military 3 (which is in turn needed for poison capsules) ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Use some Defender capsules to distract the big worm, move in and place a few gun turrets and load them w/ piercing ammo. Make sure you've done all red+green bullet damage and gun turret damage research if possible (big worms have -8 phy dmg taken, so you want dmg/shot as high as you can get it, shooting speed is nice but not essential). Grenades can actually do modest dmg to Big worms, but keeping yourself alive long enough to kill one with grenades w/out oil requiring techs is hard since they outrange your nades by a lot.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Koub wrote:How can you get poison capsules without oil when you need oil to research military 3 (which is in turn needed for poison capsules) ?
I was wrong. I thought that capsules are made from easy early game stuff but forgot that their research need blue science.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Heavy armour still gets you killed in two hits. Your best bet might be a TON of gun turrets and just run up to the worm while placing them (holding the mouse button down). It'll take a second to kill each turret and they have target priority, though whether that priority is higher or lower than the player I don't know.

Have ammo in a quick slot, once you have a bunch of turrets in range hit the hotkey for the ammo and start loading the turrets (CTRL + Right Mouse Button I think loads half the stack without needing to open the GUI, this is essential). It would help to have turrets in a quick slot as well so if needed you can switch back and place some more.

While I'm not sure about target priority, I know that once worms have a target they will not switch targets until their current one is out of range or dead. You could try placing some walls down first so the worms are distracted by them, not sure how long they'll last but might give you enough time to get your turrets down and loaded.

Good luck ^^
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Heavy armour still gets you killed in two hits. Your best bet might be a TON of gun turrets and just run up to the worm while placing them (holding the mouse button down). It'll take a second to kill each turret and they have target priority, though whether that priority is higher or lower than the player I don't know.

Have ammo in a quick slot, once you have a bunch of turrets in range hit the hotkey for the ammo and start loading the turrets (CTRL + Right Mouse Button I think loads half the stack without needing to open the GUI, this is essential). It would help to have turrets in a quick slot as well so if needed you can switch back and place some more.

While I'm not sure about target priority, I know that once worms have a target they will not switch targets until their current one is out of range or dead. You could try placing some walls down first so the worms are distracted by them, not sure how long they'll last but might give you enough time to get your turrets down and loaded.

Good luck ^^
3 hits, if nothing else is whacking you actually... the resistances on it are enough that damage taken/hit is less than 50.

Ducker
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ducker »

I had same situation. You can use a train. No joke. It has good resistance and 1000 hp (as a tank). So you drive to enemy base (you can't ram it :))), and place 2-3 turret. Load guns with AP bullets (do not leave train) and they kill worm. If there are another aliens around, kill they first.

Daid
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Daid »

The machine gun in the car seems to autorange the worms, and is early enough in the research tree.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Daid wrote:The machine gun in the car seems to autorange the worms, and is early enough in the research tree.
Yea, the Vehicle machine gun apparently has a range of 20, which outranges Medium worms (and Small worms). It does not, however, outrange Big worms. Not to mention that it doesn't have turret double damage either, so the Big worm's -8 to phys dmg kinda makes the Armoured car useless against it.

Snowf4ll
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Snowf4ll »

The tank. Just load up AP bullets, run over the worms, run away while shooting the biters, repair and repeat

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Snowf4ll wrote:The tank. Just load up AP bullets, run over the worms, run away while shooting the biters, repair and repeat
Tank requires blue science and Advanced circuits (i.e. Oil), this poor sod doesn't have oil available.

Snowf4ll
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Snowf4ll »

Oh snap my bad, completely forgot they needed adv. circuits too derp

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Snowf4ll wrote:Oh snap my bad, completely forgot they needed adv. circuits too derp
Even without the circuits, the research still need oil because blue science pack takes a battery and adv. circuit (among other things) to make, which require petro products

Xelephant
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xelephant »

Use heavy armor and place a gun turret in range, put some ammo in it, then repair the placed turret until the worm is dead. At least thats what i did when i had no oil to get past them to the fields.

Return to “Gameplay Help”