Please Help with combinators

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tobias
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Please Help with combinators

Post by Tobias »

I've read the combinator 101 and thought i understood it but I'm lost. All I want to do is count up and count down.

basically for example everytime an inserter places an iron plate on an assembly belt i want to count up and when an iron plate is placed into a factory to make something i want to count down. I want to then limit iron plates in that assemly area to say just 1000 plates so the supply is cut off at that time or turned on if the count goes below 500.

i dont know if this is the right place for this question but I hope someone can help.

Thanks, tired of banging my face on the table. 8-)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Please Help with combinators

Post by DaveMcW »

Connect both ends of an arithmetic combinator together. Set it to: Each + 0 → Each. This is your memory cell.

Connect every inserter adding plates, to your memory cell. Set the inserter's circuit network to "Read hand contents", "Pulse".

Connect every inserter removing plates, to a new arithmetic combinator. Set the inserter's circuit network to "Read hand contents", "Pulse". Set the new arithmetic combinator to Each * -1 → Each. Connect the new arithmetic combinator output to your memory cell.

Now your memory cell counts up and down. And it is already wired to your supply inserters, so you can set them to operate when iron < 500.

Tobias
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tobias »

Thanks Dave. I will try this tonight. I figure it was something simple but I kept hitting a brick wall with everthing I tried.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

DaveMcW wrote:Connect both ends of an arithmetic combinator together. Set it to: Each + 0 → Each. This is your memory cell.

Connect every inserter adding plates, to your memory cell. Set the inserter's circuit network to "Read hand contents", "Pulse".

Connect every inserter removing plates, to a new arithmetic combinator. Set the inserter's circuit network to "Read hand contents", "Pulse". Set the new arithmetic combinator to Each * -1 → Each. Connect the new arithmetic combinator output to your memory cell.

Now your memory cell counts up and down. And it is already wired to your supply inserters, so you can set them to operate when iron < 500.
Screenshot?

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

brunzenstein wrote:
Screenshot?
[edit3!]
DaveMcW wrote:
impetus maximus wrote:there is probably a way to do it without it, but i couldn't find a combination of red and green wires that would work.
Use the same color wire for everything connected to the memory cell.
derp! why didn't i try that in the first place? :x
plate.combinator.limit.derp.jpg
plate.combinator.limit.derp.jpg (107.73 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
Last edited by impetus maximus on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

impetus maximus wrote:there is probably a way to do it without it, but i couldn't find a combination of red and green wires that would work.
Use the same color wire for everything connected to the memory cell.

Return to “Gameplay Help”