How to increase the pressure in the pipes?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
H_Sage
Inserter
Inserter

Post by H_Sage »

Electric pumps are useless. Tests with them, pipes and tanks yielded nothing.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How to increase the pressure in the pipes?

Post by Hannu »

H_Sage wrote:How to increase the pressure in the pipes?
Electric pumps are useless. Tests with them, pipes and tanks yielded nothing.
If you mean the amount of liquid, 10 is maximum value in stock pipes. It can be modded to larger and there are larger tubes in some mods, but as far as I know, it makes fluid flow slower. Factorio's fluid dynamics have nothing to do with the reality and can behave quite strangely in many non-trivial situations. Probably it has been programmed fastly to give enough decent results for normal gaming.

You can get more accurate advice if you give more details what you have done and what you want to do. Small pumps work very well if you use them correctly.

BlackHat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BlackHat »

The longer the pipe, the lower the pressure.

So make pipes shorter.
Use lots of underground pipes for distances. (length wise 1 underground = 10 pipes) {I may have the number wrong, maybe its 8 or 9}
[So 100 pipes could be replaced by 10 underground pipes and the length will look like 10 pipes)
Put more fluid in. (1 pumpjack pumping from a 0.1 well, is not going to build up much pressure) :)

For MUCH more info and using electric pumps see these topics.

viewtopic.php?t=19851
viewtopic.php?t=6066

H_Sage
Inserter
Inserter

Post by H_Sage »

Have pipe for 20 boilers. Water temp. up to 100 and go to steam generators with 1.1~3.2 pressure.
This is not long: http://joxi.ru/zANaqnvIoBlO29.png
Why pressure so low? I need ways to raise pressure.

H_Sage
Inserter
Inserter

Post by H_Sage »

BlackHat wrote:The longer the pipe, the lower the pressure.

So make pipes shorter.
Use lots of underground pipes for distances. (length wise 1 underground = 10 pipes) {I may have the number wrong, maybe its 8 or 9}
[So 100 pipes could be replaced by 10 underground pipes and the length will look like 10 pipes)
Put more fluid in. (1 pumpjack pumping from a 0.1 well, is not going to build up much pressure) :)

For MUCH more info and using electric pumps see these topics.

viewtopic.php?t=19851
viewtopic.php?t=6066
thx for links

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

H_Sage wrote:Have pipe for 20 boilers. Water temp. up to 100 and go to steam generators with 1.1~3.2 pressure.
This is not long: http://joxi.ru/zANaqnvIoBlO29.png
Why pressure so low? I need ways to raise pressure.
You put flow from 2 pumps into one pipe. I have noticed, that it is normally a bad thing, especially if the full capacity of both pumps are needed. You can read exceptions and details from the pages someone linked, but usually it is best to use separate columns with 1 pump, 14 boilers and 10 steam engines. There can be reasonable number of pipes between them, but no connections between columns.

However, have you checked what is output of last steam engines? If I remember correctly, 2 pumps, 1 pipe (about 20 units), 28 boilers and 20 engines can run at about 90 % of nominal power so that fixes are more mathematical aesthetics than practical engineering. Steam engine takes 0.1 units per tick (1/60 s) and it can work very near 100 % even amount of water is very low, like 1-2, if there are constant flow of 0.1/tick (6/s). That value is not pressure and it does not act as a pressure in physics, even it have certain effect on water flow.

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

Also good numbers to keep in mind (from other threads, not personal testing):

Offshore pump will provide 60 water/second
Small pump will move 30 units/second

Return to “Gameplay Help”