FAQ - please read

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?

FAQ - please read

Postby ssilk » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Last updated on August 08

This is the Gameplay FAQ. The technical Help-FAQ is in the Technical help board.

So you are new and not so familiar with Factorio and the learning curve is steep.

And you are now stressed up, searching this simple feature.

First: You Are Welcome! :)

Second: Keep calm! Don't panic, just think. :) About 90% of the problems are already solved by others.

Third: You can just ask here, that's what a help-forum is for. You'll get normally an answer within hours, eventually within minutes!
But you know this text-box right above? We recommend the Forum Search, cause it is faster. :)

Overview

Q: Where can I find more informations?
A: 1. Use the wiki: http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki !
Please especially the informations about the transport-network and power-production, because there are really good tips there!
2. There is an IRC channel: #factorio @ irc.esper.net , see also viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3456
3. The Quick Start Guide in the wiki.

Q: I have a question and want also to make a suggestion! :)
A: Then please make two posts. One in the help-board and one in the suggestion-board.

Q: I have a Q wich is not among these Q...
A: https://www.factorio.com/help

Newbies

Q: I tried hard, but still produce too less electrical energy!!
A: Are you sure? You can hover on any pole in a network: If it tells you, that his demand is satisfied, everything is ok. You can also right-click on a pole to open the electric network info.

Q: How can I get rid from (old) stuff in my inventory?
A: There is currently no good way. The easiest is to put all into a wooden chest and then destroy the chest by hitting C with a loaded gun.

Q: Where is the KEY to make X?
A: Have a deep look into OPTIONS->KEYS in the game.
Most asked is the Alternate-mode, which shows you, what is inside the assemblies, pipes etc. That's just the ALT-key.
Also often missed is the Z-Key, which drops an item, the Q-Key, which switches the weapons, the C-Key for targeted fire, SHIFT-Space for pause, and the Enter-Key to enter/leave vehicles (car, train)

Q: How do I fight against the biters?
A: In short: Use piercing bullets and later all the capsules. In long:
- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1779
- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25
- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3433

Q: How do I use the power armor?
A: plug the power armor to the armor slot and right-click on it.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3430

Scenarios

Q: Senario "New hope 2": I can't put all the stuff into my inventory! The car doesn't count to my inventory! Is this a bug?
A: This is no bug. Tip: How do you want to leave the scenario? Spoiler: You need to drive by car, yes? Then inventory of the car counts to yours, when you sit IN the car.
This riddle is found to be too often complicated and maybe it is made a bit easier in future releases.

Q: Scenario "New Hope 3": It's too hard for me. :(
A: Fighting is really easy, if you know how. See in this article about fighting.
Here is also a list of topics, which might help:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3228
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4338
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3660
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3642
There are also other threads about that in this forum, use the search.

Advanced playing

Q: I struck with the trains. I've made two train stations and a single train, which should run between them, but the train says "no path"...
A: the train stations are train stops! The have a direction and the locomotive needs to be able to drive from that side to the train stop, cause the train cannot turn. There are two common errors:
- place two locomotives at the train, one on each end, in opposite direction. That enables the train to switch the direction itself.
- place the train stop at the right side of the track! They have a direction, which is indicated with the arrows.
See also http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/inde ... ay_network and http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/inde ... ock_signal - which includes also many further tips and links to other sites.

Q: I started a new game and I'm now lost at a small island...
A: This not a bug, (see search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=island&fid%5B%5D=23 ), just restart the game.

Q: My assembly/refinery/chemical plant doesn't produce anything (produces the wrong item)?
A: several possibilities:
- set the (right) recipe: If you click on the device and then press on the circular arrow ('Set current recipe') next to the current recipe you get back to the menu where you can select the item, which should be produced.
- in rare cases the input/output stacks are containing items. For input stacks this clogs the device. Clean/empty the slots.
- in rare cases some of the inserters into or out from another device holds an item in his hand, which he can't deliver anymore, because of the change of the recipe. Just turn the inserter or replace it.

Q: My steam engines don't work with full energy! What do I wrong?
A: well, there is no easy answer. First check, if you really need energy. Hover a pole, which is connected with your main network. If the display shows a 100% satisfaction, then you just don't need so much energy yet. If not go through the checklist in Power Production.

Q: I tried out the train signals and now my trains gets stucked every time. What do I wrong?
A: the signals are explained in the wiki: http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/inde ... ork/Signal and http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/inde ... ock_signal
- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3299

Q: What are the fish for?
A: fish? There are fishes? Of course! In the lakes you can see them. You can catch them, if they are near enough. How to use: it's a very logical riddle, it helps after fight... Fish heals. Use it the same way, as capsules.

Q: Mining power? Mining hardness? I just want to know how much resources are earned per minute!
A: Look here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4419

Expert

Q: The game gets a little bit boring after 200+ hours of playing... :)
A: if not yet bought, you might buy the next tier ("Furnace attendant", see down how to upgrade your account). More ideas:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2620 and especially
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2825 :)

Q: How can I view my actual evolution-factor?
There is currently no better way then just type ''game.player.print(game.evolutionfactor)'' into the console.

Q: What is the console and how can I use it?
The console is the command-line-interface inside the game. You can open the console by typing '/' or '~' (tilde).
You can change the config-file directly (keyboard-configuration) for setting up another key! See application-directory.

Q: Where are the locations of the save-files and configuration?
A: http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/inde ... _Directory

Q: How can I put my saves into a cloud-drive?
A: http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/inde ... _directory

Q: I don't get it with the circuits and the red and green wires...
A: basically the red and green wires can be imagined as a bundle of small wires, like a thick telephone cable with hundreds of cables inside. The "sub-cables" have names on it like "iron plates" or "wood and they count the numbers on every chest, which is added to this network. The logic happens in the smart inserters only!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3149
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=696&p=24183#p24183

Other

Q: is there something like a roadmap?
A: see: Factorio roadmap

Q: Who are the moderators?
A: slpwnd, kovarex, FreeER, cube, ssilk (from June 18).
Kovarex, Slpwnd and Cube are also the developers of this game. There are some more, you see that on the alien-egg they have for their status. :)

For the "older forum users": Be free to add more or less often asked questions as answer to this post.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FAQ - please read

Postby FreeER » Sat May 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Included into technical help FAQ. ssilk

------------------

Q: Just bought Factorio and I can't see "New Game" option ?
A: If you haven't used the 'upgrade' code that you received when you bought the game then log into http://www.factorio.com and click on your name in the top right, that'll take you to your 'profile' where you can click 'insert upgrade code', after that you can download the full (aka alpha) game from the main page by clicking the 'download' button.

Not a question but a suggestion: ...maybe it should be mentioned (if it hasn't been changed to be the default on the forum) that you can set "notify me upon replies" as a default when making a post in a topic through the User Control Panel, that might mean less time between people receiving information :) This can of course be done when making a post (or editing a post) by using those little check boxes below the 'Preview' and 'Submit' buttons :) or by going to the bottom left of a topic (or sub-forum) and clicking "subscribe topic" (or "subscribe forum")
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Postby Club Sandbox » Thu May 29, 2014 10:31 am

Hi,
I thinks you should write the permission of a new forum user, because at the moment i can't respond to mp.
So my Q is at how much post i'll get the perm to mp/respond ?

Another one does another options need permission limited by posting/date subscribe ?

Edit : Mp and Respond unlocked at 3 pots.
~ French Fan site community, manager my : Sandbox YT channel (Eng sub still WIP) ~
Club Sandbox
Inserter
Inserter

Postby HellBenito » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:42 am

Hello, sorry i have a Q wich is not among these Q...

I'va bought the game and received the bill, but not the activating code ^^. How should I do please?

Ben.
HellBenito
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Postby cube » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:30 am

HellBenito wrote:Hello, sorry i have a Q wich is not among these Q...

I'va bought the game and received the bill, but not the activating code ^^. How should I do please?

Ben.

https://www.factorio.com/help

Send a mail to support@factorio.com with your email address, user name and invoice.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.
cube
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

factorio-current.log message error cant play the games

Postby Muzamir » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:42 pm

the message come out when click play in campaign mode.
and their tell me to post the code into forum

this what i got from the file
-------------------------------

0.003 2016-08-09 01:05:26; Factorio 0.12.35 (Build 18124, win32, steam)
0.003 Operating system: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
0.003 Program arguments: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\Win32\Factorio.exe"
0.003 Read data path: C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/data
0.003 Write data path: C:/Users/zamir/AppData/Roaming/Factorio
0.003 Binaries path: C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/bin
0.043 Graphics options: [FullScreen: false] [VSync: true] [UIScale: 100%] [MultiSampling: OFF] [Graphics quality: normal] [Video memory usage: high] [Light scale: 20%] [Screen: 255]
0.045 Available display adapters: 1
0.045 [0]: \\.\DISPLAY1 - Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family {0x05, [0,0], 1280x800, 32bit, 60Hz}
0.046 Create display on adapter 0. Size 1180x700 at position [40, 32].
0.178 Initialised Direct3D:[0] Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family; driver: igdumdx32.dll 8.15.10.1867
0.178 Non-power-of-two texture sizes are NOT SUPPORTED!
0.326 Desktop composition is active.
0.473 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
0.481 Loading mod base 0.12.35 (data.lua)
0.667 Checksum for core: 3711505753
0.667 Checksum for mod base: 2829195351
1.875 Initial atlas bitmap size is 4096
2.252 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4089
2.772 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4081
3.265 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4089
3.825 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4090
4.396 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4095
4.397 Couldn't create atlas bitmap (size 4096x1351), will try again
4.503 Created atlas bitmap 2048x2023
4.533 Created atlas bitmap 2048x625
94.516 Sprites loaded
98.445 Loading sounds...
107.155 Factorio initialised
153.166 Applying migration: Base Mod: 2015-07-02_Factorio_0.12.0.lua
153.355 Applying migration: Base Mod: 2015-10-02_Factorio_0.12.9.lua
153.357 Applying migration: Base Mod: 2015-11-14_Factorio_0.12.11.lua
153.359 Applying migration: Base Mod: 2016-03-05_Factorio_0.12.26.lua
154.391 Info Scenario.cpp:124: Map version 0.12.35-0
154.890 Checksum for script C:/Users/zamir/AppData/Roaming/Factorio/temp/currently-playing/control.lua: 1114460227
155.191 Error Util.cpp:58: Unable to create sprite (1180X700) probably not enough of video memory.
Factorio crashed. Generating symbolized stacktrace, please wait ...
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\libraries\stackwalker\stackwalker.cpp (904): StackWalker::ShowCallstack
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\util\logger.cpp (306): Logger::writeStacktrace
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\util\logger.cpp (360): Logger::logStacktrace
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\util\crashhandler.cpp (84): CrashHandler::writeStackTrace
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\util\crashhandler.cpp (174): CrashHandler::SignalHandler
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\winxfltr.c (366): _XcptFilter
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\startup\crt0.c (267): __tmainCRTStartup
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\i386\exsup4.asm (391): _EH4_CallFilterFunc
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\i386\chandler4.c (360): _except_handler4
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 77636CF9)
77636CF9 (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlRaiseStatus
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 77636CCB)
77636CCB (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlRaiseStatus
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 77636B57)
77636B57 (ntdll): (filename not available): KiUserExceptionDispatcher
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\scenario\scenario.cpp (648): Scenario::~Scenario
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\globalcontext.cpp (464): GlobalContext::clearResources
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\globalcontext.cpp (536): GlobalContext::~GlobalContext
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\mainloop.cpp (623): MainLoop::run
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\main.cpp (490): wmain
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\startup\crt0.c (255): __tmainCRTStartup
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 7599EF1C)
7599EF1C (kernel32): (filename not available): BaseThreadInitThunk
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 77653648)
77653648 (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 7765361B)
7765361B (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain
178.368 Error Util.cpp:78: Unexpected error occurred. You can help us to solve the problem by posting the contents of the log file on the Factorio forums.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
please help me... i really dont know what should i do.
Muzamir
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Postby ssilk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:15 pm

1. You should not do post in a FAQ.
2. Reinstall Game
3. If still not working: Make bug report.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Gameplay Help