Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?

Postby ssilk » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Welcome to the Gameplay Help FAQ!

If you are experiencing technical problems, please go to the Technical Help FAQ located in the Technical Help board.

» Where else can I search for help and information?
  1. On the official Factorio Wiki:
  2. There is an IRC channel: #factorio @, see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3456
  3. Ask stuff on the semi-official Factorio Reddit: (they also have a Discord server)
  4. The Quick Start Guide from the wiki.
  5. Use the advanced search here in the forums.

» I have a question and also want to make a suggestion!
Then please make two posts. One in the Gameplay Help board and one in the Ideas and Suggestions board.

» I have a Question which is not answered here.
Simple questions can be asked here or over at Simple Questions and Short Answers.
More complicated questions should be asked in their own thread, within the Gameplay Help board.
Information regarding account activation, purchase problems and Steam can be found on

» I tried hard but still produce insufficient electrical energy!
Are you sure? You can hover over any power pole of a electric network: If the 'Electricity' bar is filled, everything is ok. You can also click on any power pole to open the Electric network info GUI.

» How can I get rid of (old) stuff from my character's inventory?
You can research "Character logistic trash slots". This will add some slots in your character inventory where you can put unwanted items for your logistic robots to store in the logistic network. These items will be available for automated construction and logistic requests.
If you want to get rid of something permanently, put the items into a wooden chest and shoot on it with the C key until the chest is destroyed.

» Where is the key to do XYZ?
Look into the 'Controls' settings (Game menu -> Options -> Controls).
Most people search for the Alt-Mode where you can see assembling machines' recipes, chest and storage tank contents, etc. Activate this mode with the ALT key.
Also often searched is Z to drop items, Tab to switch the active weapon, C to shoot on anything under your cursor, SHIFT + Space to pause the game, and Enter to enter/leave vehicles (car, train).

» How do I fight against the aliens?
  • There are many different ways to kill enemies in the game. The hand weapons can be used to defend against biters running towards you, and to destroy their bases.
  • Grenades and capsules (poison and slowness) have an area of effect, allowing you to attack more than one entity at once.
  • Gun and laser turrets are good for defending against hordes of enemies. With laser turrets you can even take out worms pretty quick. Flamethrower turrets can be used for that too, but keep an eye on your oil levels.
  • Combat robots (defender, distractor and destroyer) are a more flexible way to defend against or attack biters. Defenders follow you to protect you against biters and spitters running towards you, distractors are stationary to lure the enemies for example into turrets, and defenders also follow you but they take out most of the enemy bases within short time.
  • In the end-game there also is the artillery, allowing you to eliminate bases over a long distance.

» How do I use the power armor?
Put the power armor into the armor slot and right-click it. This will open it's GUI window.
You can put the different armor modules into the grid by placing them there, just like you do with machines in your factory.

» Senario "New hope 2": I can't put all the stuff into my inventory! The stuff in the car doesn't count for the goal! Is this a bug?
This is not a bug.
Hint: How do you want to leave the scenario? You need to go by car, yes? The car's inventory counts for the goal, when you sit in the car.

» Scenario "New Hope 3": It's too hard for me.
Fighting is really easy, if you know how. See in this article about fighting.
Here are also some older threads related to this which might help:
There are more threads about this aswell, use the search to find them.

» I am stuck with the trains. I made two train stops and a single train which should run between them, but the train says "No path".
Train stops are mono-directional, only trains coming from one side can stop there.
There are two common mistakes regarding this: Either one of the train stops is built in the wrong direction (look for arrows and wagon indicators when hovering mouse over the train stop to find out) or the train itself can't turn around to drive to the train stop. This can be solved by adding a locomotive for the other direction or building a loop for the train to turn around.
For further information you can read paragraphs "Trains" and "Stations" on

» I started a new game and I am stuck on a small island!
This not a bug, see viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23114. Just restart the game.

» My machines don't produce anything or produce the wrong item!
  • Set the (correct) recipe: If you open the machine's GUI (click on the machine) and then press on the circular arrow ('Set current recipe') next to the input materials, you can change the recipe the machine is using. If no recipe is chosen when opening the machine's GUI, you get directly to the recipe selector.
    You can use the Alt-Mode to see what each machine is producing.
  • Sometimes there are finished products in the machine. In most cases the outgoing transport belt is filled up so no more items can be put on it. In other cases there is an inserter turned around or missing.
  • After changing the machine's recipe there might be input or output inserters still holding the old ingredients or products. The simplest way to solve this is to rebuild the inserter.

» I tried out the train signals and now my trains get stuck all the time.
There is an explanation of the rail signals on the Wiki (paragraphs "Signals" and "Deadlocks").

» What are the fishs for?
Fishs can be eaten to restore health after a fight. Use them the same way as capsules.

Q: Mining power? Mining hardness? I just want to know how much resources are earned per minute!
A: Look here ... =18&t=4419

Q: The game gets a little bit boring after 200+ hours of playing... :)
A: if not yet bought, you might buy the next tier ("Furnace attendant", see down how to upgrade your account). More ideas: ... f=5&t=2620 and especially ... f=5&t=2825 :)

Q: How can I view my actual evolution-factor?
There is currently no better way then just type ''game.player.print(game.evolutionfactor)'' into the console.

Q: What is the console and how can I use it?
The console is the command-line-interface inside the game. You can open the console by typing '/' or '~' (tilde).
You can change the config-file directly (keyboard-configuration) for setting up another key! See application-directory.

Q: Where are the locations of the save-files and configuration?
A: ... _Directory

Q: How can I put my saves into a cloud-drive?
A: ... _directory

Q: I don't get it with the circuits and the red and green wires...
A: basically the red and green wires can be imagined as a bundle of small wires, like a thick telephone cable with hundreds of cables inside. The "sub-cables" have names on it like "iron plates" or "wood and they count the numbers on every chest, which is added to this network. The logic happens in the smart inserters only! ... f=5&t=3149 ... 183#p24183

Q: is there something like a roadmap?
A: see: Factorio roadmap

Q: Who are the moderators?
A: slpwnd, kovarex, FreeER, cube, ssilk (from June 18).
Kovarex, Slpwnd and Cube are also the developers of this game. There are some more, you see that on the alien-egg they have for their status. :)

For the "older forum users": Be free to add more or less often asked questions as answer to this post.

Last updated on February 7th, 2018
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FAQ - please read

Postby FreeER » Sat May 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Included into technical help FAQ. ssilk

Q: Just bought Factorio and I can't see "New Game" option ?
A: If you haven't used the 'upgrade' code that you received when you bought the game then log into and click on your name in the top right, that'll take you to your 'profile' where you can click 'insert upgrade code', after that you can download the full (aka alpha) game from the main page by clicking the 'download' button.

Not a question but a suggestion: ...maybe it should be mentioned (if it hasn't been changed to be the default on the forum) that you can set "notify me upon replies" as a default when making a post in a topic through the User Control Panel, that might mean less time between people receiving information :) This can of course be done when making a post (or editing a post) by using those little check boxes below the 'Preview' and 'Submit' buttons :) or by going to the bottom left of a topic (or sub-forum) and clicking "subscribe topic" (or "subscribe forum")
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Postby Club Sandbox » Thu May 29, 2014 10:31 am

I thinks you should write the permission of a new forum user, because at the moment i can't respond to mp.
So my Q is at how much post i'll get the perm to mp/respond ?

Another one does another options need permission limited by posting/date subscribe ?

Edit : Mp and Respond unlocked at 3 pots.
~ French Fan site community, manager my : Sandbox YT channel (Eng sub still WIP) ~
Club Sandbox

Postby HellBenito » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:42 am

Hello, sorry i have a Q wich is not among these Q...

I'va bought the game and received the bill, but not the activating code ^^. How should I do please?

Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Postby cube » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:30 am

HellBenito wrote:Hello, sorry i have a Q wich is not among these Q...

I'va bought the game and received the bill, but not the activating code ^^. How should I do please?

Send a mail to with your email address, user name and invoice.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

factorio-current.log message error cant play the games

Postby Muzamir » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:42 pm

the message come out when click play in campaign mode.
and their tell me to post the code into forum

this what i got from the file

Code: Select all
0.003 2016-08-09 01:05:26; Factorio 0.12.35 (Build 18124, win32, steam)
0.003 Operating system: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
0.003 Program arguments: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\Win32\Factorio.exe"
0.003 Read data path: C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/data
0.003 Write data path: C:/Users/zamir/AppData/Roaming/Factorio
0.003 Binaries path: C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Factorio/bin
0.043 Graphics options: [FullScreen: false] [VSync: true] [UIScale: 100%] [MultiSampling: OFF] [Graphics quality: normal] [Video memory usage: high] [Light scale: 20%] [Screen: 255]
0.045 Available display adapters: 1
0.045 [0]: \\.\DISPLAY1 - Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family {0x05, [0,0], 1280x800, 32bit, 60Hz}
0.046 Create display on adapter 0. Size 1180x700 at position [40, 32].
0.178 Initialised Direct3D:[0] Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family; driver: igdumdx32.dll
0.178 Non-power-of-two texture sizes are NOT SUPPORTED!
0.326 Desktop composition is active.
0.473 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
0.481 Loading mod base 0.12.35 (data.lua)
0.667 Checksum for core: 3711505753
0.667 Checksum for mod base: 2829195351
1.875 Initial atlas bitmap size is 4096
2.252 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4089
2.772 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4081
3.265 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4089
3.825 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4090
4.396 Created atlas bitmap 4096x4095
4.397 Couldn't create atlas bitmap (size 4096x1351), will try again
4.503 Created atlas bitmap 2048x2023
4.533 Created atlas bitmap 2048x625
94.516 Sprites loaded
98.445 Loading sounds...
107.155 Factorio initialised
153.166 Applying migration: Base Mod: 2015-07-02_Factorio_0.12.0.lua
153.355 Applying migration: Base Mod: 2015-10-02_Factorio_0.12.9.lua
153.357 Applying migration: Base Mod: 2015-11-14_Factorio_0.12.11.lua
153.359 Applying migration: Base Mod: 2016-03-05_Factorio_0.12.26.lua
154.391 Info Scenario.cpp:124: Map version 0.12.35-0
154.890 Checksum for script C:/Users/zamir/AppData/Roaming/Factorio/temp/currently-playing/control.lua: 1114460227
155.191 Error Util.cpp:58: Unable to create sprite (1180X700) probably not enough of video memory.
Factorio crashed. Generating symbolized stacktrace, please wait ...
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\libraries\stackwalker\stackwalker.cpp (904): StackWalker::ShowCallstack
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\util\logger.cpp (306): Logger::writeStacktrace
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\util\logger.cpp (360): Logger::logStacktrace
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\util\crashhandler.cpp (84): CrashHandler::writeStackTrace
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\util\crashhandler.cpp (174): CrashHandler::SignalHandler
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\winxfltr.c (366): _XcptFilter
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\startup\crt0.c (267): __tmainCRTStartup
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\i386\exsup4.asm (391): _EH4_CallFilterFunc
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\misc\i386\chandler4.c (360): _except_handler4
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 77636CF9)
77636CF9 (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlRaiseStatus
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 77636CCB)
77636CCB (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlRaiseStatus
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 77636B57)
77636B57 (ntdll): (filename not available): KiUserExceptionDispatcher
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\scenario\scenario.cpp (648): Scenario::~Scenario
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\globalcontext.cpp (464): GlobalContext::clearResources
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\globalcontext.cpp (536): GlobalContext::~GlobalContext
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\mainloop.cpp (623): MainLoop::run
c:\cygwin64\tmp\factorio-pksjw8\src\main.cpp (490): wmain
f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\startup\crt0.c (255): __tmainCRTStartup
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 7599EF1C)
7599EF1C (kernel32): (filename not available): BaseThreadInitThunk
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 77653648)
77653648 (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain
ERROR: SymGetLineFromAddr64, GetLastError: 487 (Address: 7765361B)
7765361B (ntdll): (filename not available): RtlInitializeExceptionChain
178.368 Error Util.cpp:78: Unexpected error occurred. You can help us to solve the problem by posting the contents of the log file on the Factorio forums.

please help me... i really dont know what should i do.
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Postby ssilk » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:15 pm

1. You should not do post in a FAQ.
2. Reinstall Game
3. If still not working: Make bug report.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Gameplay Help