manually craft large amounts of items one at a time?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

manually craft large amounts of items one at a time?

Post by Mendel »

not sure if this is a help request or a suggestion

ok, lets say I want to manually craft 5 belts. this is pretty easy to do by clicking 5 times on the belt icon and it will create 5 belts one by one.

Now lets say I want to manually craft 200 belts and I only have iron plates, no intermediates.

I ctrl click to create all those belts. but now I have to wait for intermediates (iron gear wheels) to finish crafting before I can place any belts.

I dont want to click many many times on the belt icon to craft them one by one. lets say I want to place something like 40 of them asap and the rest later when need be.

is there another way to do this (lets assume I dont have automation researched yet.)?

same kind of situations apply to other kinds of crafting too but early game belts are the least possible to automate nicely right away. (no electricity, I want belts from coal to iron and copper)

mooklepticon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: manually craft large amounts of items one at a time?

Post by mooklepticon »

Right clicking on something makes 5 at a time. So, to make 40, you'd have to right click 8 times.

Mendel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mendel »

somehow I didnt know that either so that will make my problem 5 times less bad :)

I think shift clicking or alt clicking would be more logical. I would associate right clicking with cancelling rather than building 5 at a time.

Anyways, thanks!

dragontamer5788
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dragontamer5788 »

Mendel wrote:somehow I didnt know that either so that will make my problem 5 times less bad :)

I think shift clicking or alt clicking would be more logical. I would associate right clicking with cancelling rather than building 5 at a time.

Anyways, thanks!
Shift-click creates a stack.

So shift-click creates 50 belts. Right-click always creates 5-items (in this case, 5 belts).

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I know what you mean, you need to lay some belts so you craft a few stacks because if you don't use them now you will later, but you can't even lay the 5-10 you need now because you've got to wait for 200 iron gear wheels to finish. On one hand the crafting queue is a LOT tidier and you really should have some assemblers doing this work for you, but on the other it is a pain sometimes having to wait.

I usually craft a few just to get me going, then do the stacks.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

xyzyxx
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xyzyxx »

Shift-click creates a stack.

So shift-click creates 50 belts. Right-click always creates 5-items (in this case, 5 belts).
You are right about right-click creating 5 items, but shift-click creates the maximum amount that you have the material for.

So if you're currently holding 200 iron plates and 200 gears, shift-click would create 400 belts (8 stacks).

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I think Ctrl+Click does one stack, all these are configurable though so it's possible he's changed his keybindings.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Return to “Gameplay Help”