Construction bots idleing

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mheiland
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Construction bots idleing

Post by mheiland »

Hi,

i'm quite lost with construction bots. Within my base i maintain several roboports and use a mk2 suite with mobile roboport. Now, when de-constructing something, very often construction bots from nearby ports take some of the items but then just stay idle where they deconstructed the item. After some time they travel back to their roboport and continue to recharge/idle there. Bots launched from my suite deliver the deconstructed items back to me. How can i make those other bots deliver their item to my inventory as well?

I guess putting the specific item on the whishlist of my suits "logistics slots" or putting down a requester box would help but that sounds rather unintuitive an error prone since then regular items from provider boxes would be delivered as well. Collecting the actual bots is quite bad from an effort perspective and makes them unavailable for the roboports. Looking forward to your ideas, i certainly just miss a small think here :-/

Martin

btw. this is one of the greatest games i played during the last 25 years, kudos to the team :)

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Construction bots idleing

Post by kinnom »

place down (more) storage chests
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Killkrog
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killkrog »

Problem is, only the robots launched by your personal roboport may deliever deconstructed items to you.
I find myself in the same situation as you quite often and noticed that a storage chest put close to the robotport helps. Still far from being good.

zebediah49
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zebediah49 »

Your personal roboports launch bots that only interact with your inventory.

Your static roboports launch bots that only interact with the logistics inventory.

They do not mix.

It sounds like the problem is that you're deconstructing things, which queues the bots to come deconstruct them. However, now they don't have anywhere to put the item, so they're stuck in limbo with nowhere to go. The solution is to add yellow chests, which are "do what you want" chests. This will act as a place where construction bots can go to drop off items they have deconstructed, without otherwise pulling things from the network.

Yellow chests are also used as a place to handle logistics trash items you export to the network, items rejected from a purple (active provider) chest, and as a way to handle you moving out of range. That is, if a logistics bot picks up an item, tries to deliver it to you, and fails because you leave logistics range, it will need to re-deposit the item somewhere; that somewhere is ususally a yellow chest.

mheiland
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mheiland »

Thanks for your answers :)

Now the issue with storage chests is that they take anything which the logistics system provides but not consumes immediately. I'm using provider chests (limited to 1 slot) as output caches of my factories and requestor chests to use those items. This makes sure the producing factories stop producing once their "cache" provider chest is full and no further requestor is requiring those items. This helps to balance resource consumption but still being flexible enough in case demand kicks in again. When i would add storage chests, all those "provider chest" items would go to the storage chest and fill them up if i am not mistaken. Also it would be rather random to what storage chest my bots put the deconstructed items.

So this feels like "works as designed but problematic for this specific build" is anyone aware of configuration options or upcoming changes to streamline it a bit? When deconstructing things i'd expect bots to behave in the same way no matter where they launched. At least some fallback to "deliver to player" if no chest is available.

Edit: While reading my post i came to the conclusion that using "Passive Provider Chests" over "Active Provider Chests" could be a workaround since those passive chests don't deliver to "Storage Chests", right?

Cheers

Yehn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yehn »

You can use passive provider chests (red chests) to avoid items being sent to storage automatically... You can also click a button on the top right to connect inserters to your logistic network, and then have them stop providing materials or exporting the end product if the logistics network contains a certain number.

Return to “Gameplay Help”