Is there any good Main Bus design?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Hooch
Inserter
Inserter

Is there any good Main Bus design?

Post by Hooch »

Hello.

I am after 2 complete games using full spaghetti mode.
First time I didn't know any better.
Second time I tried the main bus approach but failed in the mid game because of throughput issues.

I would like to know if there is any tested and good design of main bus.
What to put there? How many lanes? Which belts? Any upgrade plans?

You may say that fun is in figuring this stuff yourself.
As this is my game and I know what I like. I'm sure that I would like to get that info.
I have fun designing compact factories and other stuff. Main bus design would be just to have some starting point.

I'm programmer. And I treat design for main bus in factorio as a design pattern in programming. In programming design pattern is not something you invent from zero. You use some patter and have "fun" implementing it.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is there any good Main Bus design?

Post by Frightning »

A good rule of thumb for laying out a main bus is to have the belts in groups of no more than 4, and to have 2 spaces between them. That way you should always be able to route underground belts perpendicular to the bus to feed each rack (mini-factory). Because of how belts work, it's important to keep belt based bases adequately feed with resources (best to have backlog all the way to the miners). What happens when a main bus is underfed is that projects further down the belt tend to get starved first (the full consequences of an underfed buss can be quite complex due to various dependencies and order in which resources reach their various uses).

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is there any good Main Bus design?

Post by Shokubai »

I think a more important piece to a successful bus is planning around a known set of buildings and building quantities. What I mean by this is that I KNOW I will build
5 Red Science
6 Green Science
These output to either side of one belt. These feed 10 and later 20 labs.

I know Im going to build green circuits for my bus in groups of 3 Copper Cable, 2 Green Circuits and I will probably start with two sets with room to expand. I place this at the head of my bus.

Later I know I will need a section for 1 smart inserter assembly to feed blue science
I will need 4 battery plants for blue science
I will need 10 red circuits for blue science
I will need steel for blue science
I will need 11 Blue science

And on and on...

Knowing what you PLAN to build will help you plan your supply and add to your supply as needed. I do not plan my supply like i do my assymbly...I just keep adding suuply based on "feel" until i have a pretty compressed belt for a given product. If a product gets thin, I make more until its flush again.

In my case I use the 4belt+2space rule. I even add a walkway of four. SO my bus looks like this

FACTORY STUFF STARTS HERE AND ABOVE
Working space (gives room to combine belts, split, do random stuff before assembly)
Working space (gives room to combine belts, split, do random stuff before assembly)
underground belt space
walkway
walkway
walkway
walkway
underground belt space
underground belt/splitter space
Iron Belt
Iron Belt
Future Iron Belt
Future Iron Belt
underground belt space