Train stations, paths and closed rail signals

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Turtle Duck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train stations, paths and closed rail signals

Post by Turtle Duck »

With the release of 0.13 i've started a new factory and experiment with it, while working on a smart rail system i thought it might be a good idea to block certain stations in my unloading area.

So i set up a buffer system that would block my station by closing a rail signal when the buffer would reach more than 100k iron in the chests. When i started testing the system if failed miserably, the train would keep trying to reach the preferred station i had named "Iron - Unload" even though his preferred station was closed by a rail signal and had the option to pick 3 other stations with the exact same name.

From my understanding the train wouldn't choose another station from the one it preferred unless it was blocked by a cargo wagon or locomotive so the station would be occupied, this way the train would pick another station rather than the one blocked and at moments it wasn't blocked by an object but rather by a rail signal the train would just sit there trying to enter unable to continue due to the fact the station was blocked by the rail signal.

I'm not sure whether i'm doing it wrong, the rail signals aren't supposed to be used this way or if it's an oversight in the coding but it would be nice if i was able to block or disable a station when a certain situation was reached like the 100k iron in my buffer.

huwp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Train stations, paths and closed rail signals

Post by huwp »

Try this: disconnect the track to that station and tell it to go iron unload. If there's something wrong with your layout you'll get the no-path message. If it makes it to the other stations then that confirms it's an issue with the game.

Turtle Duck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Turtle Duck »

huwp wrote:Try this: disconnect the track to that station and tell it to go iron unload. If there's something wrong with your layout you'll get the no-path message. If it makes it to the other stations then that confirms it's an issue with the game.
I tryed this out, and after disconnecting the track behind the closed signal the train immediatly switches paths to another available station named Iron unload.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Intereting, but General is no bug- nor help subforum! Moved to gameplay-help.
If it is a bug it can be moved.
In every case it would be helpful to have the save.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Miravlix
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Miravlix »

I think you're running into one of the "main" problems of same name stations, that the train decide where it's going when it leaves a station and won't change it's mind for a long time.

One of the ways to kinda work around this is to create a "dummy" station close to the same named ones, with a zero second delay before it decides what destination it's going to, it hurts throughput, since the train has to stop/start and creates a double bottleneck that can be complicated to design well.

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

Is it possible that train stations with zero waiting time are skipped without loosing speed if further travel in same direction is possible? or by adding new "None" or "Routing" wait condition meaning station is not for loading/unloading but just for routing.

Fushigidane
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fushigidane »

The problem is that the path finder doesn't see signals, only blocks. If you want to control where the train goes you have to close blocks with trains for example like this https://i.redd.it/m0ntdlylxn7x.jpg .

Hopefully it gets changed in 0.14.

Return to “Gameplay Help”