Oil logistics?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Coffee Daemon
Inserter
Inserter

Oil logistics?

Post by Coffee Daemon »

Quick question, I'm sure everyone has hit this but is there any way to program say Solid Fuel production if Petro gets too high? Believe it or not I have actually hit that point :(

twepy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Oil logistics?

Post by twepy »

There are several, the most used is putting a pump in front of the chemical plant with a condition set, alternate is setting a condition on the smart inserter which removes the solid fuel blocks from the chemical plant. The both are setup in similar fashion.

Place a pump in front of the chemical plant, next connect a signal wire from the pump to the petroleum storage tank and then set a condition on the pump. When the condition is true the petroleum is pumped into the chemical plant, when the condition becomes false the pump stops and blocks the petroleum from entering the chemical plant.
petroleum.png
petroleum.png (130.13 KiB) Viewed 6658 times

Coffee Daemon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Coffee Daemon »

twepy wrote:There are several, the most used is putting a pump in front of the chemical plant with a condition set, alternate is setting a condition on the smart inserter which removes the solid fuel blocks from the chemical plant. The both are setup in similar fashion.

Place a pump in front of the chemical plant, next connect a signal wire from the pump to the petroleum storage tank and then set a condition on the pump. When the condition is true the petroleum is pumped into the chemical plant, when the condition becomes false the pump stops and blocks the petroleum from entering the chemical plant.
petroleum.png
So, using pumps you CAN quantify liquids. This will change EVERYTHING! Many thanks. If only I had room for pumps :p

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Coffee Daemon wrote:
twepy wrote:There are several, the most used is putting a pump in front of the chemical plant with a condition set, alternate is setting a condition on the smart inserter which removes the solid fuel blocks from the chemical plant. The both are setup in similar fashion.

The attachment petroleum.png is no longer available
So, using pumps you CAN quantify liquids. This will change EVERYTHING! Many thanks. If only I had room for pumps :p
The pump isnt quantifying liquids, its only acting as a valve + combinators. THe quantifyer in that suggestion would be the petroleum storage tank ;)

I dont have solid fuel in my setup, but I have a similar approach on cracking, here you go:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 6602 times
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Coffee Daemon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Coffee Daemon »

aka13 wrote: The pump isnt quantifying liquids, its only acting as a valve + combinators. THe quantifyer in that suggestion would be the petroleum storage tank ;)

I dont have solid fuel in my setup, but I have a similar approach on cracking, here you go:
Capture.PNG
Well now I've run out of oil I guess it doesnt mater too much XD

Many thanks though. I was trying to work a way of shunting oil one way or the other it via output materials, but that was going to be a monstrosity of a job.

EDIT: Also, how in earth is it possible to make an oil network look THAT neat? Mine always looks like my pipe factory exploded (It did once, dont test explosive shells in base ......)

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Coffee Daemon wrote:
aka13 wrote:~snip~
EDIT: Also, how in earth is it possible to make an oil network look THAT neat? Mine always looks like my pipe factory exploded (It did once, dont test explosive shells in base ......)
My guess is: pre-planning. I say guess because I'm still no good at it...

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Thanks for the compliments, but its rather the fact that I am more or less "forced" to optimize, since I play with marathon. This setup was achieved only after about 110h on this specific save :lol: , so your setup is propably absolutely comparable if you account the time invested.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (79.53 KiB) Viewed 6487 times
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

IMO the trick to getting neat layouts is to divide everything into rows, so you can plop down as many of something as you need, and to take enough space. A refinery requires 2 pipe rows for input and 3 for output, while cracking has 2 input rows, so if you have cracking directly above your refineries you want that least 3+1+2=6 tiles distance between the refinery row and the cracking row.

For example, this is the refinery setup I just posted here (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25114):
refinery and fluids
Refining on the bottom, cracking above it, solid fuel production above that. Of course, you also see what happens when your nice plans hit reality, as I didn't leave enough space to include the heavy->light cracking properly, I guess I should have placed them left of the 3 tanks instead of the (useless) 8 crude storage tanks, as my main crude storage is in barrels (5k at the moment :))

All cracking and solid fuel production is controlled by levels, e.g. heavy cracking if heavy > 1000, light cracking if light > petro, and petro->solid if petro is high but light is low.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I like to have all organize and my oil factory is divided on few section

First mayor section is processing Crude Oil. That section have both processes (tier 1 and tier 2). Tier 1 is to produce Heavy Oil (when Lubricant is low).
Crude Oil section
Each refinery have buffer that is filled evenly by circuit network condition (if you want to know how, loot in that topic viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23125)
Input buffer
Second mayor section is Cracking Oil processes.
Cracking section
Light Oil to Petroleum Gas
Heavy Oil to Light Oil
Heavy Oil to Lubricant
Of course there are buffers for Light Oil and Heavy Oil

Final products (Petroleum Gas and Lubricant are stored near liquid station)
Storage

All that is controlled by logic circuits.
Controller
It's simple setup based on SR Latches.
There're conditions to start and stop each process like:
Start Cruce Oil process Tier 1 when ( Heavy Oil < 25% AND Lubricant < 50% ) OR Petroleum Gas < 10%
Stop Cruce Oil process Tier 1 when ( Heavy Oil > 50% OR Lubricant > 75% )
Petroleum Gas < 10% have higher priority (it's emergency condition) so even wneh Stop condition are true and Petroleum gas is still < 10% then process won't stop.

I'm using percent values because they're easier to handle in conditions. I convert values on percentage in controller input.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Yeah going large...

Could you please post some numbers?
How many Oil refineres to how many chemical plants for cracking?

And how do you transport this many crude oil to this facility???

Looks amazing

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Neotix wrote:
I'm using percent values because they're easier to handle in conditions. I convert values on percentage in controller input.
Could you please share your controllers as blueprint?
That way we could learn how to set up our own one - developing on its own the true joy of Factorio by not copying but learning the underlying systematics from the masters by their (easy to follow) example

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

@steinio I'm not using "perfect ratio" because for me fast response and high inertia of the system is more important then efficiency. Besides in 0.13 I will use power switch to disable unused sections.
To transport that amount of fluids I'm using double pipes and pumps. Of course i'm using mod with better pumps but it's only for more compact view. It can be done also with vanilla pumps. About pipes to make it more efficient you can use underground pipes. I used normal pipes only for better look :P

@brunzenstein sure :)

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/91b7Y6juBJ9lRY/V2QWDCQdzbLSzuzdlxitIgbc3ZYIRISMJory7tfkYxrs2JTLphPtz1awDeeUT50qu4v6qazzrHxapQdataxldJseDlW2
pqm3pgXbrWe0pHnbsHy2qUvq+Zt6yx+rq/TwM53F/j6dhfHx6IPHROKQguasoM0sr9ffWZW1dSMsQj4lpzHk6Bes4RN3PxA/r6vq/Ad/5W9e6P2bHhpa8Nc/
fcl+xYo08XPW5DvWdn+EfMn3nxbDn/j7fPPIrTli4Bzk2E3C36pgl5e6fFl6eGHNtl1t2WuVlemh3W/4Z7+UO1Z4/hmDN5r92M9qVnqnGbZtVrUp4W9frzdZ
02GSen94fr1rNztxoh+saXdZeZ3q/OPsr9NMm/0qr3dVu3pp6vWKVXw0Xzkrt9Q7GjAQnvAPPyV9BmIQA5EIkQrmpciHAZY6CC5ghgMs/7wblgE+mCNoxIaB
q7jc0LbhO5jv6NdsO4AzeJTYvKpDYA7oQr2zwxAMdjipCCTBgwTuL6BD68jtAz2H4iwJCRbmcvedZyaOrQbme2vtspNaCLJy9MFEwb3APkqcBng9iAUs/deG
0mpEWq94jz07NeLp3RFHCMPzOOJLaIAnwwcHaj43XOe/S9ZVxpfmZM016RLsTeZqlp4tGBhX+EXyIAJ1ZWBuzoAI84ACKYCVmcBdKmWvb+2IYzFLpV8mAHqB
AJo4sYZEI0mJq2hXevQPIwLaKFiY2qA5puKUw1vFD5GYtNb8L65qTpcbIUALDhHtzo3ESZAWdLgfiJjnR1dyz5dNjna7XyLT7XKRuhghdUu11BEClrqlhlob
Hzyeb6wS+xT5JnGcbyRfpCRBtNPuc8rjgH1KEDG4TpagUYIodSSmFJm7JwVMsCbjUi1VXLo6+UMRn07WofqAaP2KGjCQV8lJKv2OpnwgIqlu25hWuvHV/VkG
xlgSAjaWNqWsDgMHxtIpmOeIRrTaxKDth2IELrCiaXvvVgdwE+A8Q3TYRAs32PMxWDmk0Hdq4axOk0yABlaqgaGeBFAbIgesEnH3/civrmyIy9AO0Aoilvm3
CkZl83js2akBN3Mh7gFHSYl43eEW4kifPawYI4DDnDrHfhRfsGaAiSKdkwWGYM1Vlwjc4Sexmlgi3bqZsvV8d2OEaMeIOA84gB+WO2vxKzsBVubob/dYRwis
Nd7IwIRquvyR5LAep/XllIPOBUWo+2Hgbn1kox06CBw4IpdYBmjpAJxyR9KVRZgBHYZ1LNrY0ZWmpsssP08gP4g+mk5+Yrj8TH+Q+DAyE6ChBlztkUynpliw
Av2BghtYD/dOorKGtW9r2vKHR3bEM+ICFthkivvDV85ym2zpGYHA9880vG+ypd00IKIi/ni9oZzkDiHvdwXLqqWM9w2GELAMSSnBvQwtbWToH+cyhLhWIhr4
gVXU5VvpBBWWDXSzCL857+lZsfU/5wX0AtagE8N4gNHy2N90cCVE3LWLNKfyMbhtq40pSEo0GW+joP32u4GCEoSC9pZCkYm6WKwp6mNwUS/mLPUssJynHW+V
D3t6YMBmiMmH70vh2Bwcxs5hbC50JGkkPn42xvU2UjTL34bnJ0Efud+MtPY8GQ49RJMx1mUosLJB1Et8xpIKrUkxCPMAEebCcj2yrjGgb810YW5OzrmueWFl
S5vu30KhX3dK2p3dYFVBf542AXT/X4Yml6EEOJTIQyPg0OjXUBJfhsbmFVIYYwCW/cWtMJal2dD7gF/u1h7hi7H8NOpwodNXumT+8OeGtrumelp9plXxf8QQ
oZFfPAAA

Values in combinators are not final. You can adjust them as you want.

About tank capacity. I'm using mod with 10k tanks so arithmetic in combinator is Each * 100. For vanilla tanks it will be Each * 25.

Coffee Daemon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Coffee Daemon »

Neotix wrote: It's simple setup........
Wut.

Seriously first time I've dared to go up to (gasp) 5 refineries.

Also my oil network is severely hindered by my desire to defend ALL my outposts with minefields.

Return to “Gameplay Help”