Trains not going to other stops of the same name

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
MuhDrehgonz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Trains not going to other stops of the same name

Post by MuhDrehgonz »

So I made multiple train stops the same name in hopes that I wouldn't need to micro manage where each train goes, but a problem where the trains only go to one of my stops, even though the other is available, albeit further away. I searched around to try and find a solution to this, but nothing seemed to help. I tried adding another short signal and moved the signals away from junctions. So maybe you guys can help enlighten me as to why it might not be working. Here are a couple of pictures showing the set up I have.

The first here shows where each stop is in relation to each other
train stop layout
train stop layout
20160510105921_1.jpg (217.63 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
The second shows the trains stopping at the first trains stop and not proceeding on to the other.
train stop
train stop
20160510110014_1.jpg (702.19 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Any thoughts on why this might be happening? Is it because the second stop is just so much further? The trains will go there if I block access to the first stop, so it's not a pathing problem.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Trains not going to other stops of the same name

Post by Shokubai »

I THINK that even though they bare the same name they are in fact specific stations with specific hidden identification.

blizgerg
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blizgerg »

Trains always go to the closest stop with the name on their schedule that is available.

I always just name each pickup a different name, and either have load1 -> unload -> load2 -> unload or assign a dedicated train to each load.

Having two train stops with the same name works great if all the stops are at the same "station", i.e., two trains come to unload at the same time, one will take one stop and the other the other stop.

MuhDrehgonz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MuhDrehgonz »

blizgerg wrote:Trains always go to the closest stop with the name on their schedule that is available.
That makes sense. While typing my post, I saw one go to the other station and wondered why it did. I must be that it sets the path right as it leaves the station and not on the fly. I guess I assumed it was dynamic pathing and would decide as it got to the signal for that stop.

MrDoomah
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDoomah »

MuhDrehgonz wrote:
blizgerg wrote:Trains always go to the closest stop with the name on their schedule that is available.
That makes sense. While typing my post, I saw one go to the other station and wondered why it did. I must be that it sets the path right as it leaves the station and not on the fly. I guess I assumed it was dynamic pathing and would decide as it got to the signal for that stop.
To expand a bit: Train will always go to the nearest station with that name. However, when multiple stations have the same name they will first go to the nearest station (I think). If that station is blocked they will consider the other stations too, and weighs the time to travel to that station versus waiting for the current station to be free.

So if the train blocking the first station will leave in 20 seconds but it takes 40 seconds to travel to the other station, the train prefers to wait. However if the blocking trains leaves in 50 seconds, then the train will go to the second station.

Return to “Gameplay Help”