Should Express Belts Always be Used?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Reviire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Should Express Belts Always be Used?

Post by Reviire »

I'm still relatively new and just browsing the forums on things, but couldn't find anything on this.

I've been seeing designs that use fast belts before slower ones to compress a belt, so I want to know, are express belts always viable, is the increased speed better than being able to compress the belt fully?
Rip goat, more loli
Gizogin wrote:I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Should Express Belts Always be Used?

Post by SyncViews »

Fast belts cost a lot more than basic belts, and express belts even more so, making it a question of what is affordable.

Naturally a fast belt that is only 80% full is still moving more items per second than a packed basic belt, but at a much greater cost.

Reviire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Reviire »

SyncViews wrote:Fast belts cost a lot more than basic belts, and express belts even more so, making it a question of what is affordable.

Naturally a fast belt that is only 80% full is still moving more items per second than a packed basic belt, but at a much greater cost.
Resources are not an issue. But thanks.
Rip goat, more loli
Gizogin wrote:I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

What you need to know is that two of the same belt have a better throughput than one that's one tier faster.
However, if you have to transport really high volumes of stuff, there's one moment where it will get impractical to add always more parallel belts. At that moment, you'll want to replace your belts with faster belts.

With "regular" bases on "regular" games, there's not much a double fast belt will be not enough for. On really big bases, or with some mods that increase the costs of stuff (like marathon for example), you'll find yourself always short of throughput. Then, you'll be happy to have 4 parallel express belts for each ressource instead of 12 parallel basic belts for each ressource.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Gameplay Help”