Splitting liquids?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Splitting liquids?

Post by syneris »

Is there a way to somewhat evenly distribute liquids? Plastics keep hogging all the petro gas I need for sulfur. I'm also running multiple plants turning light oil in to solid fuel, but it all rushes to a single chemical plant.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Splitting liquids?

Post by TGS »

syneris wrote:Is there a way to somewhat evenly distribute liquids? Plastics keep hogging all the petro gas I need for sulfur.
As of right now I think the only real solution would be to put a pump on the pipe connected to the plastics plant and use 'r' to reverse it so that 1. No more gas will get to that plant and will in fact be reversed back into the storage (Which ideally you are using). If you aren't using a storage it will act as an effective stopper/valve which will allow the gas to go into the other plant. I don't know of any way to automate this yet.
syneris wrote:I'm also running multiple plants turning light oil in to solid fuel, but it all rushes to a single chemical plant.
Similar to the previous problem you need to have multiple wells and probably need to start using storage. Also keep in mind that the rate at which refineries produce the broken down components is not that high, so you might need multiple refineries and use storage to store the light oil and basically try to get to a situation where you are getting more in the tank than you are burning into fuel. It is very much a balancing act at any rate.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

Adding a pump towards the other plant doesn't seem like it'd be a solution. Instead of the sulfur not getting petro, the plastics wouldn't get any. I'm using storage tanks, but they don't seem to be working like you describe. There isn't anything in the tanks as it is all being used by a single plant. I doubt each chemical plant is supposed to get its own dedicated refinery, so I'm hoping I missed something about the new fluid mechanics.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

There is no reliable mechanism to split liquids now.
We might make some alterations, that would make T section with pumps on both side work like a splitter though.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I think this is too difficult to explain. A good solution should work much easier and should be more logical explainable.
I could live with it, if you see that as a provisional solution, but currently I think there should be a special element for that, even to make it clear, that otherwise it isn't working as expected.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”