Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

More specifically, trains will go to the train stop that has the least number of signals to pass and has an available route. There are some fringe cases for extreme distances where it will queue for the closer but unavailable station, but this is about it.

Signal count doesn't necessarily translate to distance because things like junctions add more signals than a straight stretch but if you've got a standard signalling distance it can be estimated.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

XxBlackRosesxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxBlackRosesxX »

How to you take a full belt and push all of it to one side?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

XxBlackRosesxX wrote:How to you take a full belt and push all of it to one side?
You use sideloading:
factorio-sideloading.png
factorio-sideloading.png (141.72 KiB) Viewed 5389 times
You can also find more examples here: https://wiki.factorio.com/Belt_transport_system
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

XxBlackRosesxX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XxBlackRosesxX »

daniel34 wrote:
XxBlackRosesxX wrote:How to you take a full belt and push all of it to one side?
You use sideloading:
factorio-sideloading.png
You can also find more examples here: https://wiki.factorio.com/Belt_transport_system
Thank you! I was using splitters and underground belts, it gets very messy. :P

Leocet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Leocet »

how do u talk in multiplayer
I tried tab, it didn't work.
is the option not in controls or am I retarded

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Leocet wrote:how do u talk in multiplayer
I tried tab, it didn't work.
is the option not in controls or am I retarded
Use the tilde (~) key. Depending on your keyboard layout it might also be the key left from 1, or one of the keys to the right of the L key.

You can change this setting in Options --> Controls --> Game --> Toggle Lua console
It's the second-to-last one on the right side.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

gernith88
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

What am I missing? (noob)

Post by gernith88 »

Inserters 1 and 4 work, however 2 and 3 do nothing? And there is room in the assembling machine 1 for more materials? :?
factorio.jpg
factorio.jpg (544.29 KiB) Viewed 5304 times

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

inserters only put a small amount in a machine at a time.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Inserters will only put 2x the recipe in assemblers, furnaces, chem plants, etc.

ziroby
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ziroby »

My game doesn't finish when I launch the rocket with a satellite in it. I put the satellite in and press the Launch button. It shows a graphic of the rocket taking off and leaving the screen. Then the rocket bay doors close and the silo prepares to create another rocket. I thought I was supposed to get a victory menu and an achievement. Instead it behaves exactly like it did when I forgot to add the satellite.

I'm playing 0.14.21 off of Steam.

Thanks,
Ziroby

ATMunn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ATMunn »

Is there a good video for explaining rail signals and chain signals? I still don't fully understand them. I've looked around but not been able to find a good one. If not, a quick text explanation would be nice.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Bentham did a pretty good video but they are reasonably straightforward.

If you think of signals as dividing the rail into segments or "blocks". When a train is in a block, the signals to enter that block go red so no other train can enter it. This prevents trains from colliding with each other.

Chain signals are an interesting one, they will only allow a train to pass them if the train can also pass the next signal on its route. Basically if the next signal is red, the chain signal is also red. These are used for intersections so trains will never stop somewhere that is blocking other trains (except those behind it).

Some things to note:
  • Signals are always on the right of the train. If you put a signal on either side, it makes the rail two-way but I wouldn't recommend this to start with unless you're only using one train.
  • Blocks include rails that touch in any way, even if a train cannot move from one rail to the other (such as in a + shape).
  • A signal cannot have its block loop to the other side of the signal. For example if you only put one signal in an O shape, there is only one block that loops to the start and end of that signal so it's pointless and the signal will flash indicating it's broken.

ATMunn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ATMunn »

Thanks. I wasn't going to watch that video because it wasn't for the latest version of Factorio but I might watch it anyways. I think I kind of get what you're saying also. I will have to play around with them myself at some point.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Rail logic has had some tweaks but the principle remains the same, and yeah messing about is always the best way to go.

Generally I find you need rules when working with rails, for example I have all my rails either vertical or horizontal, with a large power pole between them. I use the poles to make a sort of grid that my intersections are always centred on, which means if I end up looping it will meet perfectly. The poles are also a pretty good distance to place signals and blueprint nicely.

My intersection design I picked up from a streamer, Abundant Automation, which I watched in my lunch breaks. Once I had observed them for a while and fixed a few deadlocks I modified the signalling and now I think it's perfect.
Rail Straight
I stagger the signals and lights so even if you rotate the blueprint they will be in the same position.
Rail Junction
I always use three-way junctions as it's more stable than a four-way. I have never had a deadlock with this design, even when trains have queued up past it.

Both blueprints only contain one power pole, the ones beyond the rails are just there to show the distance. Something to note is you CAN place the power poles so that the rails won't line up with them, so for your first one just make sure it fits in both directions.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:
Rail Junction
As far as I can see both your designs have some errors.

A simple rule of thumb is: you use regular signals when on straight rails, regular again when on an exit from an intersection, and a chain signal on the entrance from an intersection and inside it.

So, the train will not enter an intersection unless it can exit it without stopping in the middle (and thus potentially creating deadlock).

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

How does a straight piece of rail with one signal either side have errors? OOPS, accidentally used Chain Signals there. I normally use regular signals, must have grabbed the wrong one xP

The junction however is solid. Yes that is the general rule of thumb however if you have a regular signal on the exit then another signal shortly after it (would be at the power poles on either side) long trains can potentially block the junction regardless of how well it itself is signalled. That is why I also use Chain Signals on the exits. It doesn't affect the performance of the junction (maybe trains can't quite so closely follow each other) but it makes it a lot more stable. I don't believe there are any errors but feel free to provide some input =)

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:I don't believe there are any errors but feel free to provide some input =)
Well, I can't, so I'm probably wrong. :) Surprisingly, seems like a 3-way crossing really can't be permanently gridlocked, even if it's made of totally regular signals, without a chain signal. If there is no gridlock on exits, of course.

petricottontail
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by petricottontail »

I've looked around for an answer for this but the last topic I found was from early 2015 so I'm hoping there's a fix in Vanilla and that's why the thread has gone dark.

Is there a simple way to disconnect 2 roboports?

I'm thinking that since they have the shift-click to disconnect power poles from each other that maybe you can do the same thing with roboports to make two distinct logic networks that overlap but can't find it documented anywhere. Anyone able to help me out?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

petricottontail wrote:I've looked around for an answer for this but the last topic I found was from early 2015 so I'm hoping there's a fix in Vanilla and that's why the thread has gone dark.

Is there a simple way to disconnect 2 roboports?

I'm thinking that since they have the shift-click to disconnect power poles from each other that maybe you can do the same thing with roboports to make two distinct logic networks that overlap but can't find it documented anywhere. Anyone able to help me out?
No. If the logistic ranges from two roboports touch or even overlap, they are connected
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

iorunner
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by iorunner »

I Can't find the rocket silo in my crafting window even though I've researched rocket silo. Where does the tile show up in the crafting window?

Return to “Gameplay Help”