Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Mr. Tact »

Okay.. what am I being stupid about?

I am trying to use the Even Distribution mod to put ammo in my turrets when I press shift c -- which it seems to say it will do and I saw Nilaus do it in his SE play through. But it is not working for me. Do I have to have logistic slots researched? That's about the only I can see it might be.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NineNine »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23042

What this thread is for:

Simple questions relating to vanilla Factorio game play.

What this thread is not for:

Questions relating to MODS. Please use the relevant sub forum here.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Apologies for all the chaos caused by my question. Thank goodness we all survived.

For the record, I needed to set a logistics limit on my ammo so the mod could tell the ammo was "extra" and to be removed, including to turrers.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Mr. Tact wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:51 pm
Apologies for all the chaos caused by my question. Thank goodness we all survived.

For the record, I needed to set a logistics limit on my ammo so the mod could tell the ammo was "extra" and to be removed, including to turrers.
I don't know the answer to your question, and with indifference to the vanilla vs mod usage of this thread, in truth you would have a lot better luck getting answers to mod related questions either in the Mods subforum, or from that specific mod's discussion page (some have a thread here in the Mods subforum, but all have one in the mod portal).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

when can i play with the new elevated rails?

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

nowhere:) the expansion is not out yet.

vvildfire
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vvildfire »

Hi all. I'm building my first big base, and now that I have a large main bus, I keep running into the issue of how to evenly split a single lane's worth of material off of it. For example, I want to make an accumulator assembly line, so I need to split one lane of batteries and one lane of iron plates off of the respective lines from the bus, and then merge these two lanes onto one belt and run that to the assembly line. Up until now, I have been using a splitter side-loading into an underground belt, but this runs into the issue of unbalancing the lanes of the belt it siphons from. Is there a compact way to siphon evenly from both lanes, so that it doesn't back up one half of the belt?

Example of the issue I'm having:
factoriobeltbalance.png
factoriobeltbalance.png (97.96 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

vvildfire wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:02 pm
Is there a compact way to siphon evenly from both lanes, so that it doesn't back up one half of the belt?
Note your example can be made more compact by placing the underground directly after the splitter.

An input-balanced lane balancer like viewtopic.php?p=215565#p215565 ensures input lanes are taken from evenly.

You can alternatively use an output-balanced lane balancer (https://wiki.factorio.com/Balancer_mech ... _balancers) either to re-balance lanes of the bus belt after you split from it, or where you load the bus to ensure supply can go to either lane.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Skorj wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:55 pm
Are single-lane belts UPS-optimized?

Can't seem to find an answer to this. If one lane on a belt is compacted and the other is empty, is this optimized the way full belts are, or a UPS nightmare? I don't want to add a balancer "just in case".
In short, i don't think it would be a UPS nightmare to use only one lane. I don't think it make any significant difference for UPS, as if using 2 halves from different belts is roughly the same as using the 2 halves of the same belts. You can see some designs using 2 halves from different belts scoring well in this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=193&t=100763

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

I’ve had a few looks but can’t see anything, is there a setting that changes an item to a ghost if you run out when placing?

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

Yes, there is a setting. in Settings -> Interface -> Interaction there you can find the checkbox Pick ghost item if no items are available. Ich activated then ghost will be placed if the entity is not in your inventory.
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

That setting is already on, wha I mean is if I’m dragging a line of 10 belts and only have 5, place the last 5 as ghosts.

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

I have this all automatism of. if i want ghosts there is a shift key :D .
Also i hate that underground belts build automaticle or the "smart" build mode.

But it's VERRY cool that the developer let us people the option to make it so how every player want - this is great.
(Sometimes i wish me a shortkey to activate the automatic unterground belt option without goung in the option)

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

FritzHugo3 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:00 pm
There's an option called Smart belt dragging that enables that. So if you don't like it, you can uncheck that option to disable it.

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

Kyralessa wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:15 am
FritzHugo3 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:00 pm
There's an option called Smart belt dragging that enables that. So if you don't like it, you can uncheck that option to disable it.
It is unchecked, i tolted i never want this autoatation stuff default. It is a miss understanding. i dosent need the help i want answered the other post :D

(Sometime so 10%-20% it would be coul there where a short cut to change the modes - i have written it in the suggestion forum)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Quick question about multiplayer games, since I currently have no way to test this myself: Suppose a player is leaving the game (no mods), will the player-character remain in the world, or will it be removed and recreated next time the player joins the game? Are you aware of any mods that change the default behaviour? I need this for a mod I'm working on …
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Pi-C wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:25 pm
Quick question about multiplayer games, since I currently have no way to test this myself: Suppose a player is leaving the game (no mods), will the player-character remain in the world, or will it be removed and recreated next time the player joins the game? Are you aware of any mods that change the default behaviour? I need this for a mod I'm working on …
The character gets stashed and is no longer present in the world. The entire state of it will be recreated when the player rejoins. Since you mention modding - that's what associated characters are for, they get logged out together with the main character when the player leaves the game.

(You should be able to locally test multiplayer by using two instance of the game (from the zip install), not logging in and hosting a LAN game.)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Bilka wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:50 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:25 pm
Quick question about multiplayer games, since I currently have no way to test this myself: Suppose a player is leaving the game (no mods), will the player-character remain in the world, or will it be removed and recreated next time the player joins the game?
The character gets stashed and is no longer present in the world. The entire state of it will be recreated when the player rejoins. Since you mention modding - that's what associated characters are for, they get logged out together with the main character when the player leaves the game.
Thanks for the answer! So if I empty the inventories of player.character when defines.events.on_pre_player_left_game and the player rejoins, player.character would still have empty inventories, right?
(You should be able to locally test multiplayer by using two instance of the game (from the zip install), not logging in and hosting a LAN game.)
I'm on my laptop now, running two instances of the game there would be quite a burden on the poor thing (especially as it's currently running on battery power). I'll try hosting the game on my main computer and connecting from the laptop when I'm back home. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Pi-C wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:35 pm
Thanks for the answer! So if I empty the inventories of player.character when defines.events.on_pre_player_left_game and the player rejoins, player.character would still have empty inventories, right?
Yes, that should work.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Bilka wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:41 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:35 pm
So if I empty the inventories of player.character when defines.events.on_pre_player_left_game and the player rejoins, player.character would still have empty inventories, right?
Yes, that should work.
Great!
Bilka wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:50 pm
Also, thanks for the reminder that I must consider the associated characters as well! Almost forgot about these …

Return to “Gameplay Help”