Chain signal and station interaction help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Queeg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Chain signal and station interaction help

Post by Queeg »

Hi all. Had a search but didn't find an answer.
I understand trains and have a large system running flawlessly.
I would like some info on how chain signals and stations interact and if I am experiencing an intended feature.

I am running heaps of push pull trains on a single track with sidings to control flow and am keeping sections of my track clear with chain signals to stop deadlocks.
Eg. --siding-- (chain signal->) (switch) --track to keep clear-- (switch) (normal signal->) --siding--

So if there is a red on the normal signal(occupied siding) the chain signal is red and wont let a train enter the next section. It works beautifully. North bound travels unimpeded delivering to the stations along the track and south bound shuffle along the sidings to fill up at the lowest station.

UNTIL You put a station in the middle of the clear section IN the same direction as the chain signal. (opposite direction still works nicely).
So:
--siding-- (chain signal->) (switch) --track to (<-station) keep clear-- (switch) (normal signal->) --siding-- WORKS. If the normal is red the chain goes red.
But...
--siding-- (chain signal->) (switch) --track to (station->) keep clear-- (switch) (normal signal->) --siding-- Breaks. If the normal is red the chain goes green. So the train stops at the station then proceeds to the normal signal and blocks the track.

I've done hours of experimentation but am yet to place a station in the chain signals direction without blocking at the next signal.
Its as if the train station just signals green to the chain all the time.

TL:DR
My Question is, is there a way to get a station to tell a chain signal the status of the next signal? Or are stations designed to force us to have the oncoming trains give way?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Chain signal and station interaction help

Post by sillyfly »

I'm having some trouble following your description (images may be clearer ;) ), but is it the same as this: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14628 ?

Queeg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Queeg »

Yes ty same problem as that thread.

So it is designed to behave that way. A chain signal before a station block is just treated the same as normal signal?

That's a shame. We could chain all the way from one end of a track to the other. But a station will break the chain.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

In your case - were the trains set to go to the station?
In the linked thread the trains were always set to go to the station after the chain signal, in which case it may be considered acceptable behavior. If you see the same happening when the trains aren't set to go to the stop it may be considered a bug.

Return to “Gameplay Help”