Trains: two-directions lane with crossing?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Trains: two-directions lane with crossing?

Post by TN_Creator »

Hi,

I'm new to trains in the game, first thing I wanted to do was a simple A -> B path with only one lane, two two-headed trains, and in the middle of the distance, a zone where the lane splits in two to allow trains to cross (I don't know if this is the right word in english, crossing sounds "perpendicular" to me, more than parallel frontal crossing)

The question is : Is it possible at all?
I tried with signals, but when train A came to the double section while train B (in opposite direction) was waiting, train A always tried to engage in the same lane, stopping to the red signal, why the other lane was green and empty.

thanks in advance!
Last edited by TN_Creator on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Trains: two-directions lane with crossing?

Post by ratchetfreak »

you mean a passing point or a siding.

one way is to make each side of the siding 1 way. that ensures the trains will always pick different sides.

The other way is to put a dual chain signal on the single track so the train will repath to the empty siding if one is already picked.

With that you will need to put chain signals when entering the single 2-way track and everywhere on the single track normal signals on each exit of the dual-way track.

twepy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by twepy »

Yes, what u want is very possible to make. Ive build an example with both kinds of passing sections, in the top u see the "classic" one way passing and in the bottom the dual way passing. To make the signals easier to recognize ive marked the normal signals with green and the chain signals with a yellow line.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/584 ... ssing1.png
In the second one u can see that in the bottom section the locomotives are now in reverse direction.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/584 ... ssing2.png

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

Thanks a lot, so I need to use chained signals, I only tried without them!

twepy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by twepy »

When a train encounters a normal signal block it performs the check: Is the block free? If yes then continue, if no wait or stop. When a train encounters a chain signal block, the check changes to: Can i exit the chain signal block (or sequence of chain signal blocks)? If yes continue, if no wait or stop. Ofcourse the actual implementation is has more complexity then this but this enough to grasp the basic difference between the two types of signals.

Return to “Gameplay Help”