I'd like a good map seed for a huge peninsula

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

I'd like a good map seed for a huge peninsula

Post by Peter34 »

Something where I only have to wall off in one direction, e.g. north, instead of all four directions, but still with plenty of room to build.

Anyone has a map seed that works with 0.12.29?

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: I'd like a good map seed for a huge peninsula

Post by Peter34 »

DaveMcW wrote:http://redd.it/4btr7x
Is there a repository of easy/interesting map seeds, somewhere?

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

Had this seed:

Code: Select all

With starting area set to very big, gave me this:

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

You can always screw around in the map editor. At the very least it lets you view the map enough to know if you like a given seed. You can regenerate over and over using different seeds until you find one you like then use that seed to make a game normally. Or you could use the editor to modify a map to be the way you like it and then save it as a scenario to play -- this is what I usually do.

Also, for map generation, I really like the combo of "Low" terrain segmentation and "Big" water, this leads to large ocean-like bodies of water which is handy for having your base protected on a couple sides. There's usually plenty of land to work with (more than there is water), but you may want to double check in the editor to make sure you are not on an island.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Yes, of course, there is always the map editor, but it's nice to have a good map to start with, because if one desires a peninsula, or an ishmus or an island, taking a normal RNG map and turning it into one of those requires a lot of alterations in a very large scale, and that's not what the map editor does best.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

You make it sound like the editor is more complex and hard to use than it actually is. I opened it up and was able to make a workable map in just a minute or so (after a few map seed changes by trial and error). Take a look here:
http://imgur.com/a/04bkz

Sure it might take a bit longer if you really care about making the map look pretty, but it only takes a few bush strokes to make a passable map.

I know you are probably hoping people will just give you a seed that you can use, but I'm just trying to take the "Teach a man to fish" approach so that you might be more empowered to make your own maps. But even after all of that if you still don't want to use the editor to actually edit a map, at the very least you can use it to view and verify as much area of a map for a given seed that you want to help decide if it is the right map for you.

NOTE: in the images above I use RSO mod enabled so you will not see any resources (I'm not sure why RSO doesn't show them in the editor).

Sushikiller
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sushikiller »

I've just found one of the best seeds ever.... It's a HUGE space with only one direction to defend from (north) and one enemy base to farm artifacts from...

>>>AAAMACMAAAADBQYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMEBAoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwQECQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMDBAoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMECAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwQEBQAAAHN0b25lAwUEov+a3/2AAAAZswAAAAAAAAAAAA
AFAEB1aHk=<<<

I'll post another picture with the result once i've put some days into this one ;)
Attachments
20160711161040_1.jpg
20160711161040_1.jpg (100.41 KiB) Viewed 63197 times

Harkonnen604
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Harkonnen604 »

You can quickly check map seed in sandbox mode (Play -> Custom Scenario -> base/sandbox). Just zoom out and scroll like you would run with character.

Return to “Gameplay Help”