Is this an efficient 1 to 4 belt?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Eonwulf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Is this an efficient 1 to 4 belt?

Post by Eonwulf »

I just got the game recently and was curious about some things.
So what I was trying to do is go from 1 belt to 4 belts with even distribution and keep them double sided.
If you just use the 3 splitters at the start then it ends up with single sided belts at the end unless it gets backlogged.
So I did what I wanted to, but I am curious is it efficient?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Is this an efficient 1 to 4 belt?

Post by Neotix »

If you want to test your design:
1. Try to put items only on one side and see if you get even distribution on all belts.
2. Try with not compressed input belt (irregular spaces between items).
3. Try with mixed items.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Eonwulf wrote:If you just use the 3 splitters at the start then it ends up with single sided belts at the end unless it gets backlogged
That will finally be fixed in 0.13 :D

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

Check out this guy's videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1 ... ZG&index=1
I can't remember what episode it's in (it's in several actually), but he does a signature 4 to 4 belt equalizer. He often uses it just as a 1 to 4 belt equalizer in the early episodes then in later episodes when building outposts, with 2 to 4 inputs, it works just as well too.
I've never tested it out but it looks effective and smaller than your's.

Eonwulf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eonwulf »

Neotix wrote:If you want to test your design:
1. Try to put items only on one side and see if you get even distribution on all belts.
2. Try with not compressed input belt (irregular spaces between items).
3. Try with mixed items.
1. I didn't test this but I know by the way I worked it out that it would just end up on 2 belts. Actually now that I think about it, it would evenly distribute from one side.
2. It would still be even.
3. If you had a square of 4 different items then each belt would hold a different item.
Zeblote wrote:
Eonwulf wrote:If you just use the 3 splitters at the start then it ends up with single sided belts at the end unless it gets backlogged
That will finally be fixed in 0.13 :D
Good to know that will be changed. Will simplify things.
Griffon0129 wrote:Check out this guy's videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1 ... ZG&index=1
I can't remember what episode it's in (it's in several actually), but he does a signature 4 to 4 belt equalizer. He often uses it just as a 1 to 4 belt equalizer in the early episodes then in later episodes when building outposts, with 2 to 4 inputs, it works just as well too.
I've never tested it out but it looks effective and smaller than your's.
You see his design in the second episode at 22:30. It has the problem of the items only ending on 1 side of each belt instead of both sides.
If you are okay with that then you could simplify his design even more with just 3 splitters like I originally said.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll try and figure out this stuff some more. This game is interesting.

Eonwulf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eonwulf »

So I was working with the belts and splitters some more and I realized the way splitters currently work.
They analyze each item that passes through and toggles a boolean for that item so that it will go down the other path next time it comes through.
For a belt full of a single item, it analyzes the top item before the bottom item so that's why it splits full lanes into half lanes.

So here is a little mock up of what's going on. 0 and 1 are the same item I am just showing where they will end up after processing.

Code: Select all

-----00000|\|0000000000
-----11111|/|----------
          |\|----------
          |/|1111111111
This is what happens if all the items are different. 1 2 3 and 4 are each a different item.

Code: Select all

-----313131|\|31--31--31--31
-----424242|/|42--42--42--42
           |\|--31--31--31--
           |/|--42--42--42--

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Yes, that's what they'll fix in 0.13, it'll then use a bool per lane.

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

I think I came up with the belt Equalizer you were looking for and also works as a 4 to 4 equalizer. It's 12*6 and uses 30 belts, 8 underground, and 9 splitters.
pictures
blueprint string using foreman, only yellow belts

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

The last design passes all 4 lanes through a single splitter. That will limit the throughput.

Return to “Gameplay Help”