How does the electricity system actually work?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
greaterix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How does the electricity system actually work?

Post by greaterix »

I've got a decent amount of steam engines which produced my electricity before I reached solar.

the power screen indicated that I've got more than enough "potential" electricity available should demand require, however I've noticed there's a big delay between accumulators emptying, and the steam-engines picking up the slack - or indeed generate at all whilst accumulators are discharging - thus leading to my lasers not shooting = eaten by invaders, as the power almost always (sod's law) goes off when I'm being attacked.

Could I get some clarification on how it all works from some of the more experienced players?

Is it worth removing panels + accumulators until I've got enough stocked up to switch 100%?

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How does the electricity system actually work?

Post by BurnHard »

Sounds more like you didn't have had enough power generation at all. Usually the steam generators start producing to 100% load even before one single accumulator is going to be discharged. Could you provide a savegame?

in the actual build the energy supply works as follows: If the solar collectors can provide enough energy, no other energy source will be used. If they cant provide enough, then steam engines will start. if steam engines are at maximum load, accumulators will start to discharge.

greaterix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by greaterix »

looked a bit closer and it appears I may have deleted the power cable connecting the steam engines to the parts provided by the solar/accumulators :P

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That's the main reason, why I want to see the different networks in different colors, when in alternative view mode.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”