[Solved] - Steam Engines not fully utilized

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
hhubris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Solved] - Steam Engines not fully utilized

Post by hhubris »

I can't figure out why the engines towards the top and right are not running at full (some at zero) capacity even tho the water temp is 100 everywhere, yet when night comes, I always run short of power.

Save game is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2obo2o1b4xywea/g1.zip

Thanks for any help.

-HH

Solved - Added another pump. Apparently I didn't have enough water to get to the end.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Steam Engines not fully utilized

Post by n9103 »

One pump can only supply water for ten engines.
Haven't loaded the save, but having more than ten engines is the usual culprit.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Solved] - Steam Engines not fully utilized

Post by Dysoch »

hhubris wrote:olved - Added another pump. Apparently I didn't have enough water to get to the end.
also remember, it doesnt work when putting more then 2 pumps on a single pipe line. they can only hold the water of 2
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2
Active since Factorio 0.6

hhubris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hhubris »

also remember, it doesnt work when putting more then 2 pumps on a single pipe line. they can only hold the water of 2
Does that mean if I want to use more than 20 steam engines I have to have completely separate networks?

Right now I have 15 steam engines in sets of 3. Each set has 4 burners, then all the pipes join together, and I have feeder pumps at each end.

That seems to work.

Thanks for your help.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

hhubris wrote:
Does that mean if I want to use more than 20 steam engines I have to have completely separate networks?

Right now I have 15 steam engines in sets of 3. Each set has 4 burners, then all the pipes join together, and I have feeder pumps at each end.

That seems to work.

Thanks for your help.
yes that is what it means.

3 pumps can maximally feed a pipe, but the 3th pump is then already weakened and cant unload its full water.
so simply set up a new line of pumps and pipes without connecting them to the other to expand your setup
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Personally, I think the easiest is just 15 boilers and 10 engines for each pump, with each pump on it's own line.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Dysoch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dysoch »

n9103 wrote:Personally, I think the easiest is just 15 boilers and 10 engines for each pump, with each pump on it's own line.
thats what i do 2, but the way i descriped is possible to (but i found out i then got quicker trouble with heating all steam engines)
Creator of:
- DyTech
- DyWorld
- DyWorld-Dynamics
- DyWorld-Dynamics 2

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

n9103 wrote:Personally, I think the easiest is just 15 boilers and 10 engines for each pump, with each pump on it's own line.
13 boilers are enough for 10 steam engines (or 12 if you are satisfied with 99°C water instead of 100!C ;) )

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

That setup works, but my experience was sometimes, once it had a black-out it comes not back to normal. Maybe, if there is no 100% energy need. I recommend to have 1-2 extra boilers to make sure, that it recovers.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

ssilk wrote:That setup works, but my experience was sometimes, once it had a black-out it comes not back to normal. Maybe, if there is no 100% energy need. I recommend to have 1-2 extra boilers to make sure, that it recovers.
I had that problem some games ago, but with 14 boilers and only 6 or 7 steam engines. The 7th engine behaved as it had too less pressure or temperature, although it was at 100°C and a dedicated pump for these 7 engines. I should have written a thead in the bug-forum, but was too lazy ^^ I think it was a bug in the fluid-simulation (I think i had a Y-configuration), but with reworked fluides in 0.9 maybe its resolved.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. I think we should not put so much energy into this discussion, because it can be expected, that the new fluids will change much of the current behavior. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”