Open save in editor?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Open save in editor?

Post by malokin »

I wasn't able to find info about the map editor in the wiki, so if I'm just blind or terrible at searching, please drop me a link. There is a modding tutorial but not a map editing tutorial? Wha?

Anyway, my question is, is there a way to open a save game file in the editor or somehow convert a save into a map? I dont mind if alot of the data is lost like player location and all that.

The reason i want to know is that, designing a map with giant solar panel grids is easiest in the editor, BUT it is alot faster for me to design a complex working belt feed factory while in game. I cant tell from the editor if my machines are balanced, and i cant experiment with different combinations of modules and arm combinations.

The best method I have so far is thus:
design a factory in freeplay mode with easy-peasy settings, take a screenshot. Then use paint to put colored dots on assembly machines to mark what modules go where. Then open the map editor and copy over the design. Really tedious.

I'm sitting on a few ideas for maps and i need desperatly to get them out of my head so I can be done with them forever. So any tips on how to speed up the process would be kindly appreciated.
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Open save in editor?

Post by FreeER »

Move/copy the map from saves into 'scenarios', when you open the map editor it will then show up under "user scenarios". Should the scenarios folder not exist just create it manually...There should probably be an ingame way to do this, especially now that the map editor has been updated a bit. initially it was quite difficult and annoying to work with, probably why it's not on the wiki :)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malokin »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

now i can swap back and forth like wisconsin swingers.

I;v got an idea for a scenario where right at the beginning, bugs begin to chase the player just as a train is pulling away that would have saved his life. The rest of the level is a constant run following the tracks to safety as the bugs tear one small installation after another. The player will have to place mines, belts, lasers, and all sorts of crap to save his life, at some point i'll give him a car with low fuel. Any additional ideas for this scenario would be appreciated.

Another one involves a giant thick ring of belts surrounding a "pit" of sorts with a giant bug colony inside it. The player gets to roll around in his car "experimenting" with the full arsenal of weapons. No real objective.

Another I'm hoping to do is a driving school, with a race track of doom attached

My little brother and I used to make custom starcraft maps every single day of my life when I was a lad.

Anyway if you read all this crap then you can see why I'm getting close to hitting myself in the skull with an axe just to drain the yolk of these ideas. It's maddening.

Thanks so much FreeER
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

malokin wrote:now i can swap back and forth like wisconsin swingers.
:lol:
malokin wrote:Anyway if you read all this crap then you can see why I'm getting close to hitting myself in the skull with an axe just to drain the yolk of these ideas. It's maddening.
Indeed, and please make as many as you like, we need some map makers :) Even if some of them don't become popular I'm sure someone will enjoy them and it may lead to other ideas. I'm especially interested in how the chase map would play out :)

malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malokin »

Is there some kind of scripting (sorry again if thats the wrong word again) in place for the map editor, the way that "triggers" functioned for starcraft?

edit:
Also, is there a tutorial for the map maker? I saw the one for mods but i couldnt find much on the editor.
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

malokin wrote:Is there some kind of scripting (sorry again if thats the wrong word again) in place for the map editor, the way that "triggers" functioned for starcraft?
That is probably the correct word :) but to answer the question: There is not a script editor yet but you can do so manually by adding a control.lua file to the scenario, see the data\base campaigns and scenarios or the control.luas for mods, make sure to use entity tags in the map editor :) I'd intended to create a script editor at one time (for prototype definitions at first, but eventually control scripts as well) but I don't have much programming experience so kind of gave up on that...I might try again once I have more practical experience, if someone else doesn't manage it first

edit: No there is not currently a tutorial for the map editor (that I am aware of), I haven't used it since it's been updated so if someone who has feels that it's not intuitive enough they could/should create a tutorial on the wiki :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

malokin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malokin »

thanx ssilk, does anyone know what the differences would be between these 2 methods?

edit: the world is mine, the world is yours:
GSRJ-CASS.jpg
GSRJ-CASS.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 37388 times
GSRJ-EAST.jpg
GSRJ-EAST.jpg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 37388 times
GuideBook.jpg
GuideBook.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 37388 times
-- CENSORED SIGNATURE --

Return to “Gameplay Help”