How do storage chests work?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

How do storage chests work?

Post by Ardagan »

Well, that's all the question overall. Exact questions are:

1) How do they work compared to requester/provider chests.
2) What are priorities for bots.
3) I have 2 provider chests. Items are produced faster, than consumed for one and more or less stable, but uneven for another. Will storage chest overfill with items of 1 type in this case?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How do storage chests work?

Post by ssilk »

First all requests are fulfilled (requester chest). Then - if there are free bots and unused items in provider chest - they begin to move items from the provider into storage chests.
And for the requester chest: first they look into the storage chests and empty that and only then they will empty the providers.

Or in other words: the storage chests will be filled slow and emptied fast.

To the last question: yes. Currently you need to use circuit network, connect all provider chests, which contain item1 and all storage chests and use the smart inserters to stop, when produced enough.

Because that is much, much work, I can only recommend to not use storage chest, until the smart inserters are able to use the logistic network.

See also this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=1237
There is much more explanation about this theme.

In my latest factory I don't use any circuit, it was enough to use the stack limits. I like this stack limits, I think that system should be expanded, because that is really easy and fast, if you only use provider and requester you spare so much time with programming...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”