v.12 pipe question

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

v.12 pipe question

Post by dinodod »

All the factorio docs I have read are old and I am having an odd issue that I am not sure if it's because of v.12 or not.

I have noticed that my steam factories have a poor performance status but 100% water levels, 9.2 water / s, 100 Degrees Temp, and 100% available performance. At first I thought my steam engines scaled back due to the power consumption of my factories but then I looked at my power report and now I'm more confused.

My power report says:
Consuming: 10 MW
Producing: 10 MW (But the green bar is about 30% full)

So I thought I needed more steam engines but I'm not seeing any improvement in my performance. What's happening???

Also, I read an article regarding storing steam in tanks for use later. Is this still a valid way to save power or are solar / accumulator farms the best??

Any newer guides out there?

Thanks!

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: v.12 pipe question

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Main thing to remember is that the two bars are misleadingly labled, if technically accurate.

If production is less than maximum, it means that you are not producing at your full capacity since it is not nessesary.
If consumption is less than maximum, it means you aren't producing enough power to supply your machines.

Ideally, consumption will be maximized, and production will be less. Which is depressingly counterintuitive.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

regex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by regex »

dinodod wrote:My power report says:
Consuming: 10 MW
Producing: 10 MW (But the green bar is about 30% full)
That means you're producing about 30% of full capacity, so your engines should have a total capability of around 30MW. Since you're only consuming 10MW with your factory you have ample reserve and don't need more power production (at this time).

dinodod
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dinodod »

ok, thanks. A bit confusing.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”