Single track, two-way, two trains. Is it possible?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
regex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Single track, two-way, two trains. Is it possible?

Post by regex »

With sidings, obviously. I've been struggling with the signal layout at the sidings and stations; getting a lot of blinking.

Or is it just a better idea to run two tracks side by side?

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Single track, two-way, two trains. Is it possible?

Post by ratchetfreak »

when entering the 2-way track there should be a chain signal. when leaving it should be a normal one.

every signal should be a set of 2 way chains.

make the sidings large enough to hold your second largest train (or the largest if you have 2 copies of it) that will use that track

regex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by regex »

So basically like the bottom diagram here? I would have thought it required more signals...

E: Oh wait, I think I see. Only one direction of travel should use the sidings, that makes sense. Thanks for the tip!

AmpsterMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AmpsterMan »

One thing one should keep in mind is to make roundabouts at the stations and/or put engines on both sides of the train so it can go back and forth. Kinda obvious, but leaving no stone unturned and all that...

Also, are you on the KSP forums? Because we have a user by the same name over there :p

regex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by regex »

AmpsterMan wrote:One thing one should keep in mind is to make roundabouts at the stations and/or put engines on both sides of the train so it can go back and forth. Kinda obvious, but leaving no stone unturned and all that...
Way ahead of you, thanks.
AmpsterMan wrote:Also, are you on the KSP forums? Because we have a user by the same name over there :p
That's me. :) Nice to see other recognizable faces.

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

You might find my earlier thread discussing signal-block options for two-way track of interest. For a single two-way track, it's pretty straightforward, and I have an example passing block in the first post. It gets more interesting if you want to mess around with two-way double track, instead of the one-way double track that most people use, but it can be done.

Return to “Gameplay Help”