A small "taker" area for the early game

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

A small "taker" area for the early game

Post by Peter34 »

I've begun making an area with "taker" chests, for the early game. It's a loop, usually a double-Belt loop with 2 lanes of Iron Plates on the outer Belt, and on the inner Belt one lane of Copper Plates later joined by another lane of Steel Plates.

I have in-feed Belts to this loop (a loop 25-50 tiles long), and just before this in-feed I have Inserters taking Iron, Copper and Steel and putting to into Chests to take directly from (this means that after you add Steel to the loop, you must use Smart Inserters to take the Copper and Steel), the control+click method being faster than running around F-taking from Belts.

After the in-feed, I have Assembler Machines making intermediate products for me to take, since this speeds up hand-crafting relative to having to make everything from raw Plates.

I have one or sometimes two macines making just Gear Wheels, putting them into 2 Chests, with a cap of 2 stacks per Chest (for an MP game, I highly recommend 2 such machines and 4 if not 6 Chests), and a setup with either 3 or 5 machines making Green Circuits (2 Copper Wire and 1 Circuit, or 3 Copper Wire and 2 Circuit), again putting it directly into (capped) Chests.

That's the very basic "taker loop". The Chests for "raw" Plates must be last in the loop, just before the in-feed, so that Plates go as much as possible to make intermediate products.

You can add additional intermediate products to it. The most obvious is a set of 2 machines, one to make Pipes (I usually go for 3 Chests each with 150 Pipes in them) and to feed into another machine making Undergroud Pipes (there I might go for 2 Chests each with 50 UnderPipes). Those can be postponed a bit, but they will come in very handy when it's time to get started with Oil. Having a huge supply of pre-made Pipes is also helpful if you want to make a lot of Steam Engines, but it's mainly the UnderPipes that take a long time to hand-craft if you start from raw Iron Plates.

I like using Hand Grenades to clear away Trees, so I'll often route a Belt of Coal past or to a machine, set up to take Iron from the "taker loop" and make Grenades for me, filling perhaps 2 Chests with 100 Grenades in each. Dendrocide!!!

The reason there's Steel in the loop is that then I can have 2 more machines, one to make Medium Electric Poles and one to make Large Poles. Mediums are fast to hand-craft (I don't use Large ones often enough to have a sense of how quick they are to make) but it's neat to have, and in the longer term you can of course turn all the end product Chests in the "taker loop" into Passive Provider Chests.

Other things you can make from the "taker loop" include regular gun ammo and AP ammo, or normal Belts and normal Inserters - I tend to almost never set up Inserter-making there, though, since they're quick to hand-craft (when you already have the Gear Wheels and the Circuits) and usually not Belts either. I might well set up a very temporary machine to make Belts, so that I can make the loop, but after that I'm more likely to just take down the Belt-making machine than to re-locate it to the "taker loop".

You can also set up red potion production, directly from this Belt. Doing the same with green can be done ,but is more elaborate

I've also experimented with a 4-machine setup, along the loop, to make first Circuits (slowly with only 1 Wire machine) and then Smart Chests, but I'm not yet sure if that's a good idea. I guess it depends on how many logistics Chests you need in the mid-game.

Making any kind of "taker loop" is an investment of both time and resources. But I think it's one that pays off, since hand-crafting goes so much faster when you have a ready supply of intermediates (keep in mind, Pipes are used heavily when hand-crafting Refineries and Chemical Plants).

Of course one can begin with a smaller "taker loop", especially in an SP game, just enough for 1 setup to make Gear Wheels and Green Circuit, and 1 Chest for Copper Plate, 1 for Steel Plates and 2 for Iron Plate, and room enough for a machine-pair to be added later to make Pipes and UnderPipes. And then much later in the game one can expand the "taker loop" to make additional frequently-used intermediates and perhaps end products (Medium Poles, Smart Chests). If doing that then one can also start with a single-Belt loop that has Iron on one lane and Copper on the other, but if so do leave inside space for an additional Belt loop, to carry Steel Plate and another lane of more Iron Plate (and really, having Iron on both Belts is a bit of a hassle, Inserter-wise).

And there's no reason it has to be a loop. The main principle is that the Chests from which you take the raw Plates must be last, so that they only get filled (to their cap - remember to set the cap!) after all the intermediate-producing machines have had their opportunity to take from the belt. I just happen to like these small loops.

One more thing to do, is to Belt Stone Bricks to the area the "taker loop" is in, and have some "taker Chests" for those too. Then everything is neatly gathered in one area, where you go to re-supply when you need more stuff for your hand-crafting. But I haven't actually done the Bricks thing yet. The idea occured to me while writing this.
Last edited by Peter34 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: A small "taker" area for the early game

Post by Turtle »

I've been doing something like this since day one ;) I also research assemblers ASAP so I can make belts and start boxing belts AND gear wheels.

Sopenas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sopenas »

could you add some screenshots of your loops? thanks :)

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

I got lsto in your words, but i suspect i would need a screenshot to be able to understand anyways :D
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Once the devs add an easy-to-use screenshot functionality to the game, I'd be happy to create one or two, and find somewhere to upload, to demonstate the "taker" concept. But using the generic Windows screenshot-taking method is far too much work. I can't be arsed.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Peter34 wrote:Once the devs add an easy-to-use screenshot functionality to the game, I'd be happy to create one or two, and find somewhere to upload, to demonstate the "taker" concept. But using the generic Windows screenshot-taking method is far too much work. I can't be arsed.
Would this be workable:

Code: Select all

/c game.take_screenshot()
or

/c game.take_screen_shot()
(not sure which one will work in 0.12)

More info on wiki about various parameters for the function:
Wiki

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

orzelek wrote:
Peter34 wrote:Once the devs add an easy-to-use screenshot functionality to the game, I'd be happy to create one or two, and find somewhere to upload, to demonstate the "taker" concept. But using the generic Windows screenshot-taking method is far too much work. I can't be arsed.
Would this be workable:

/c game.take_screenshot()
or

/c game.take_screen_shot()
(not sure which one will work in 0.12)

More info on wiki about various parameters for the function:
Wiki
Probably. I'll take a look, report back to you.

Ideally, there should a small screenshot mod, implementing this script function as an interface button. But just copy/pasting a simple console command into the game might well be something that is easy enough for me to be arsed to do, despite my chronic laziness... So thanks!

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I've partially figured out how to get it to work, but the showentityinfo command does nothing, and it's necessary to make screenshots useful.

This is what I use:
/c game.take_screenshot{zoom = 0.9, showentityinfo = {true}, resolution = {x = 4800, y = 3600}}

Zoom seems to work, and resolution kinda works too although the image seems a bit pixilated, as soon as you zoom in more than a bit. But I suppose it's tolerable.

I need to get the showentityinfo function to work, displaying the equivalent of Alt keypress info, to make useful screenshots, and I'm at a loss. Anyone?

Also, it's a total pain in the butt to have to go in and manually delete (or rename) the old screenshot before taking a new. I much prefer the Steam system for taking screenshots, where each screenshot is automatically stored as a separate file, so that e.g. I can press the Steam screenshot key (I for get what it is) multiple times to take a sequence of screenshots.

I suppose that will all improve once Factorio gets on Steam (I'm thinking it'll happen with 12.6 or 12.7), but until then, or if it gets delayed a lot, it would be super nice to have a simple mod to semi-automate the process of taking screenshots, i.e. for didactic purposes.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Okay, after some trial and error (random insertion of under_scores) I got it to work:

External link to pic:
http://s21.postimg.org/5u6qvm0px/screenshot.png
(I dislike the way the in-forum image display system works - often it works poorly or not at all in my iPhone. Most screenshots here are useless to me when I'm on my phone, and sometimes when I'm in my iPad or my desktop PC as well. It's either crappy, or else many are using that functionality wrong. So I've opted for external hosting.)

The console command I used:
/c game.take_screenshot{show_entity_info = {true}, resolution = {x = 2000, y = 1500}, zoom = 0.8}

It's show_entity_info with 2 underscores, whereas the wiki has it with zero underscores, so someone with wiki editing privileges might want to update it, especially given that show_entity_info is such an important screenshot command parameter.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Peter34 wrote:(I dislike the way the in-forum image display system works - often it works poorly or not at all in my iPhone. Most screenshots here are useless to me when I'm on my phone, and sometimes when I'm in my iPad or my desktop PC as well. It's either crappy, or else many are using that functionality wrong. So I've opted for external hosting.)
I show the pics on my IPad like so: Hold long on the pic, a requester opens, choose show pic in new tab.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

ssilk wrote:I show the pics on my IPad like so: Hold long on the pic, a requester opens, choose show pic in new tab.
Thanks, but that doesn't work using Safari on the iPhone. Might work in Chrome, or when using Safari on the iPad, though. I haven't tested those.

Return to “Gameplay Help”