Train Sidings, what am i doing wrong?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Lynsis
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train Sidings, what am i doing wrong?

Post by Lynsis »

http://i.imgur.com/O20h0ZO.jpg not entirely sure what i'm doing wrong, sometimes it will go to the next station but it cant find a path back even when i make them exactly the same at both ends.

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Train Sidings, what am i doing wrong?

Post by Schorty »

It might be because of the signals. They are indicating, that you can go in, but not out. Place a signal parallel to the ones already placed and you should be fine
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Yep, the sidings need exit signals. Also, the two-way piece of track is probably best off without signals (they're chain signals now, that might not harm, but it won't help either)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

Boogieman14 wrote:Yep, the sidings need exit signals. Also, the two-way piece of track is probably best off without signals (they're chain signals now, that might not harm, but it won't help either)
I've been experimenting with single-track rails, and I do passing blocks like this all the time.
passing block
As for the chain signals - there are a lot of situations on two-way track where they're absolutely required or you get deadlocks. Before and after normal intersections for example. Omitting them here might work, but if you get in the habit of leaving them off, you can easily end up omitting required ones. It also clearly marks the rail section as two way.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

The sidings have one way signals entering them. You should make them double signals like the one on the signal track. Then remove the double signals on the single track. When using a single line like that, you only need signals on the entrance and exit branches.

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

vampiricdust wrote:The sidings have one way signals entering them. You should make them double signals like the one on the signal track.
One-way sidings are the only safe way to set up such a passing block. If both tracks are two-way, a deadlock will happen if four trains, 2 in each direction, enter adjacent passing blocks.
Deadlocked two-way sidings

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Gus_Smedstad wrote:
vampiricdust wrote:The sidings have one way signals entering them. You should make them double signals like the one on the signal track.
One-way sidings are the only safe way to set up such a passing block. If both tracks are two-way, a deadlock will happen if four trains, 2 in each direction, enter adjacent passing blocks.
I was talking about the OP's station branches, not your passing blocks.

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

vampiricdust wrote: I was talking about the OP's station branches, not your passing blocks.
Arrgh, of course you're correct. For some reason I skimmed the original question and thought he was talking about sidings, not terminal stations for double-header trains. Of course you need signals in both directions for those.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Lynsis wrote:http://i.imgur.com/O20h0ZO.jpg not entirely sure what i'm doing wrong, sometimes it will go to the next station but it cant find a path back even when i make them exactly the same at both ends.
Many have answered already, but to give a bit more of an explination.

Signals not only cut things up into blocks..but they also indicate what direction the AI can go in on a track. When you put them off you should see arrows pointing off into one direction (towards the trains in the pictures case). You need to set it up so that trains know they can go both ways on that track, so place another signal that'll point the opposite way.

For the sake of it..you change the direction of the signal by changing which side of the track you place them on.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

moved from General to Gameplay Help.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”