Expansion Candidate Chunks

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Expansion Candidate Chunks

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Tried a quick google or two and was looking for information on enemy_expansion_candidate_chunks

I know they surround the spawners and get removed by "victory poling" and the general information behind it.

But do they disappear if I destroy a base and there aren't any bases nearby?

This is my current base
My Base
And I've started victory poling around the place but I'm getting quite sick of it. There are absolutely no spawners/worms/biters/spitters etc in the area (4096^2)

The other question is, what are those square blocks with no circles near? I can't seem to find out why they do that.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Expansion Candidate Chunks

Post by sillyfly »

See https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... Expansions
For a chunk to be expansion candidate it has to satisfy 3 conditions:
1. Be at least 3 chunks away from any existing enemy base.
2. Be at least 3 chunks away from any player structure.
3. Be at most 7* chunks away from an existing enemy base.

The squares are 5x5 chunk squares around structures you have placed ("victory poles") - 3 chunks in any direction from the center gives 5x5 square.
The reason candidate chunks will disappear when a base is destroyed is that there may not be any other base close enough.

* - not sure about 7, the wiki is unclear about it.

Edit: Upon re-reading, I may have misunderstood your question. Are you sure there aren't any nests that spawned in areas you don't have constant vision?
Also, it may be possible that some of the mods you have change the minimum distance from existing base...

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Thank you for the reply. In the entire 4096x4096 area thats highlighted there are no enemies (except near the far edges). The inner highlighted chunks are more than 7 chunks by a fair whack.

I'll have to double check if those are poled areas.

While I do have mods, AFAIK none changes that value, or at least not by such a massive margin.

Is there a console command to force update everything on the map? I've tried rechart with no luck.

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=14980

My bug report may be of interest to you. I'd be curious to know if you get the same behavior I do when you place/remove a structure.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

And if you want some more visitors try adding Natural Evolution mod.
One of things it modifies is the enemy expansion and size of attacks.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Vin wrote:https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=14980

My bug report may be of interest to you. I'd be curious to know if you get the same behavior I do when you place/remove a structure.

Hey, I posted in your thread as well. It is the same situation.

The blank squares on my map have no player placed items, and the green circles do stay gone when reclaiming the item.

Return to “Gameplay Help”