How to use combinators

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

How to use combinators

Post by aklesey1 »

Who can explain how to use all 3 types of this machines, can someone give an example
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How to use combinators

Post by ratchetfreak »

First thing to realize is that the signals you can use, 1 for each item, 1 for each liquid and a set of additional signals, 0-9, A-F and 4 colors.

The constant combinator is the simplest, you can set the output for each signal. It's constant and won't change until you go in and change them.

The arithmetic combinator will take either 1 signal or all signals (if you select each for input 1) and perform a operation (+ - * /).

The decider combinator will check if input 1 is less than= equal to or larger then input 2. For input 1 there are 3 special input, "everything", "anything" and "each" which compare every input and the condition will only be true if all, any or check once per input. Input 2 can be set to another signal or to a constant (remember to press set to confirm).

For normal condition the output can be set to "everything" which will copy the inputs to the output either will all counts set to 1 or verbatim depending on the setting.

If you have "each" selected for input 1 you can put the output to each as well which will output all signals which pass the condition. Otherwise the output signal will be the sum of the results. So you can count how many inputs match by setting the output to a normal signal and "1".

Now for how the wires work.

If multiple machines output to the same wire then the signals are added together. The input port can also extend the wire network.

If a machine is wired to red and green inputs then the signals are added together before getting processed.

To move the contents of a wire to another wire without having outputs to the other wire affect the first you can use an arithmetic combinator set to each+0 = each

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Who can show any examples with arithmetic combinators?

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I'd prefer to see a worked example of Oil Refining/Cracking control.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Peter34 wrote:I'd prefer to see a worked example of Oil Refining/Cracking control.
That doesn't even need combinators.

just set the small pump leading to the crackers to be input oil > constant 2k (if you have 1 tank connected as input)

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Peter34 wrote:I'd prefer to see a worked example of Oil Refining/Cracking control.
Can u do screenshoot with this chain?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Friday facts briefly explains the simple and advanced stuff.
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-88

Not in the friday facts are the special signals: A, B, C, D ... 1, 2, 3, 4 ... red, green blue. These are just signals with no meaning, they behave exactly as items.

There are also some special signals: Everything, Anything and Each. They have special meanings for different combinators. You can only select some of them depending on the combinator.
For example, in the decider combinator you can do if "anything is bigger than 100", output "everything".
Or you can do "for each item > 100", output "each", and it will filter only items with a count >100.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

aklesey1 wrote:
Can u do screenshoot with this chain?
Why are you quoting me? I'm not claiming to have a "chain", or indeed any other build that can do anything (particularly) fancy.

Return to “Gameplay Help”