Logistic network logic - attempt at beltless base.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Logistic network logic - attempt at beltless base.

Post by oLaudix »

Is it even possible? I mean i tried not to put any copper on belt BUT because of this logistic robots must fly a long way from smelting area to more remote parts of the base having to recharge on te way. Is it possible to take part of copper plates from the smelting are and put it half the way so it can be picked up by other robots and deliver it where it should be? I tried to use storage chest but bots just went full retard after I put 1 and all 2000 of them picked random shit up and tried to put everything into 1 chest. It made 1000 robots hover over that chest carrying stuff they had nowhere to put. Not to mention they put iron, solar panels, pipes and other random stuff where i wanted copper only :/

PS. I need storage chest with smart inserter filter system :/

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Logistic network logic - attempt at beltless base.

Post by keyboardhack »

Yes it's absolutely possible to make a belt less system.

Sounds like you have some Active provider chest in your base. Robots will always try to remove everything from active requester chests and they can only put it in storage chest or send it to a requester chest. You just have to replace your active requester chests with passive ones and your system should work.
Waste of bytes : P

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

Ok, i changed all the active chests to passive but i still cant get the iron to te storage chest i put some way from smelting area. I tried to put requester chest and feed storage chest with it. Problem is that logistic bots are retarded and immediately take stuff from storage chest and put it back in requester chest ...

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

I will make a suggesting, but i have to warn you taht i never got it to work myself.

at edge of smelting area's orange logistic network coverage put requester chests requesting iron, then going out of that orange area, put inserters moving the iron to provider (or storage) chests in a disconnected logistics network (the two orange area's have to have a one space gap between them. the bots in the second area carry the iron to the other side of their own seperate network where there are again requester chests looking for iron, which gets inserted into the next small logistics network and so on. eventually this makes it back to your main base's netwrok, which no bots have to leave going all the way to the smelting/mining areas.

by having a chain of chests going the other way you can theoreticaly move suppplies for the outposts from main base out.

This way, each bot only ever flies in the area of its one roboport (or a row of them perpendicular to direction of travel, so as not to increase distance bots fly) and never goes a very long way.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I once did a playthrough with my own rule "not allowed to put even one belt down".
Was pretty interesting and actually not as hard as I first thought. Even after you have your first robots you still need to carry a lot of stuff around, because you don't instantly have 1000+ robots.
You should prioritize items that are needed for robots until you can transfer everything by robots.

For the smelting I tend to put the electric furnace directly at the output of the electric drill and then directly into a provider (passive at the homebase, active for transfer to train at the outposts).
I would post a screenshot but I don't have that save anymore.
I used a blueprint just with drill|furnace|inserter|provider to make building and removing them very easy. At a new patch I first did the edges, so that the drill was on the ore patch and the rest outside. Then I filled the middle with as much of these as I could.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

daniel34 wrote:I once did a playthrough with my own rule "not allowed to put even one belt down".
Was pretty interesting and actually not as hard as I first thought. Even after you have your first robots you still need to carry a lot of stuff around, because you don't instantly have 1000+ robots.
You should prioritize items that are needed for robots until you can transfer everything by robots.

For the smelting I tend to put the electric furnace directly at the output of the electric drill and then directly into a provider (passive at the homebase, active for transfer to train at the outposts).
I would post a screenshot but I don't have that save anymore.
I used a blueprint just with drill|furnace|inserter|provider to make building and removing them very easy. At a new patch I first did the edges, so that the drill was on the ore patch and the rest outside. Then I filled the middle with as much of these as I could.
Nothing you said is usefull to the problem i provided. I cant transport plates from smelting area to remote places of the base with logistic robots alone. We need either smart storage chest with filter similar to smart inserter or ability to reserve slots in chests. Without this making big bases without belts is impossible.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

oLaudix wrote: Nothing you said is usefull to the problem i provided. I cant transport plates from smelting area to remote places of the base with logistic robots alone. We need either smart storage chest with filter similar to smart inserter or ability to reserve slots in chests. Without this making big bases without belts is impossible.
Or you segregate the logistics networks

have a smelting are covered by one logistics system with active providers on the furnace output and storage at the edge (or passive provider and requester at the edge)

then use inserters to pull the item out into a provider in a separate network separated by 1 tile. where other bots will then transport it further

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I have built beltless bases my self, they are my favorite type of base, since they look clean, they are fast to be built, they are not complex, and they just WORK as expected. At the cost of very high resource input and energy consumption, but they are well worth it.

This is one of my many bases. They are all modular, but this save is only 70 hours old. It still needs more outposts and more modularization. I'm in the middle of creating new outposts for producing some basic intermediary products, like bob's circuits and a bunch of other stuff.

Everything work basically near the train station. A train unloads in the outpost into passive provider chests, I have a bunch of storage chests (these are all buffers), and bots deliver to requester chests these raw resources, and output into the furnaces/assembling machine's passive provider, which eventually get's transported to another train stop (8 tiles away from the first one), that carries the resources to other train stops and to the main base.

The only belts you see is to move short distances massive amounts of resources, that for some reason couldn't be delivered closer (spacing purpose).

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

SHiRKiT wrote:I have built beltless bases my self, they are my favorite type of base, since they look clean, they are fast to be built, they are not complex, and they just WORK as expected. At the cost of very high resource input and energy consumption, but they are well worth it.
Looks like the only approach i can take is to take smelting far away from the main base. Best way would probably be abandoning my current base, leave smelting as it is and transport ready plates to the designated places. Or make small modular smelters at the patces of ore and transport ready plates from there. That means i have to invest in trains training since best thing i can do is putting 2 trains on 1 sided track with loop -_-

EDIT1: On the other hand it still wont solve my problem with transporting stuff around the base :/

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Sounds like a fun challenge mode. Are trains still allowed? You can dump ores directly into smelters, drop the results into storage chests, and have trains haul the stuff around.

Cargo cars are also excellent for moving goods 5 tiles at a time. Input goods at one end and output at the other end. String goods from one cargo car to the next for extra joy.

Return to “Gameplay Help”