Trains stopping in the middle of tracks!

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tagarnak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Trains stopping in the middle of tracks!

Post by Tagarnak »

Hi, I'm having an issue with trains stopping in the middle of nowhere with a Destination Full message

I read something saying that this is a problem caused by disabling stations, but I'm using this setup where all of my stations are named the same, and enable/disable them based on a condition like this for instance

It's working exceptionally well, but the only downside is that I do get trains stopping in the middle of tracks and won't even change their course if both stations are disabled I believe?

This happens when, for instance, I have a loading condition that will call the train (100k oil is filled for instance), and an unloading condition that will call the train (less than 20k oil in the tank left for instance). And these conditions are the same in all of my stations with the same name.
Again, this works like a charm but it'll be perfect if I could have trains just not stopping in the middle of nowhere!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Trains stopping in the middle of tracks!

Post by mmmPI »

I think the problem is caused by having "no" station enabled for the trains to go.

If you were to only "reduce" the limit instead of "disabling", then the trains would continue to their destination and not get stuck in the middle of the track.

"Destination full" means probably that the last "valid" station for that train was "disabled" instead of having its limit reduced.

Thus this trains is left only seeing "enabled station" as also "limited", and since its previous destination is "no longer valid". It search for a new one, discarding disabled stations... and showing the "destination full" message.

If the limit of the train stop is reduced to 0 instead, it doesn't invalidate it from the incoming trains, they do not get stuck, they finish their trip.

Tagarnak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tagarnak »

I tried the Limit setup, but it's still the same, I added a combinator for this

This is getting the same condition, and outputting L as a 1 value, which sets the train limit, so if the condition is not met, then the train limit is set to 0

I unchecked the Enable/Disable option, set the train limit parameter, and even with this instead of disabling, I'm getting trains with the same Destination Full message and trains stopping mid journey in the middle of tracks.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

This behavior happens when a train stop the train is traveling to gets disabled: at some point train stop closes and says to all incoming trains "sorry, go away" and the train say "i have nowhere to go" and stops with the message. As long as you have other train stops using enable/disable, this issue may reappear. Fortunately ability to enable/disable train stops is going to be removed in some future version.

Tagarnak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tagarnak »

I see, this is a very easy setup that I found using the same names for all of my stations, and they get trains based on condition, it works super well, except for this issue, even with the Limit instead of Disabling stations I still get the Destination Full message... I get that the train doesn't know where to stop, I have stopping stations set up so trains can queue when the station is full, but I guess trains can't figure that out.
A very nice solution for this would be to assign stopping or queue stations so u can assign them so trains go there if all stations or a particular one is disabled or limited, that would be a great fix tbh.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Tagarnak wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:08 pm
even with the Limit instead of Disabling stations I still get the Destination Full message...
Maybe i didn't explain properly , Yes if you set all limits to 0, of course the destination will be full for all trains. That's perfectly fine x). This is when a train has nowhere to go. If you don't disable station, it should not occur when a train is in the middle of the path. And thus not cause any problem.

I welcome the "destination full message" , this means my trains are ready to go wherever they are needed.
Tagarnak wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:08 pm
A very nice solution for this would be to assign stopping or queue stations so u can assign them so trains go there if all stations or a particular one is disabled or limited, that would be a great fix tbh.
The system was announced to be changed already for the expansion to make it easier i guess.

In the meantime an easy solution is to not disable station in which trains are incoming. ( you can see that with circuits). Or not disable station at all, just limit them to 0. Doing so will not cause train to get stuck in the middle of path, ever. They will either no initiate travel with "destination full" or complete their travel up to their destination.
Tagarnak wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:50 pm
I unchecked the Enable/Disable option, set the train limit parameter, and even with this instead of disabling, I'm getting trains with the same Destination Full message and trains stopping mid journey in the middle of tracks.
If you don't disable station and only reduce their limit, train do not stop mid journey due to schedule. Never.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

If it was not clear….

Train schedule of stops A, B, and C.

Train is at A. It leaves and goes to B. After B, it will go to C.

Train is at A. All of B are at their Train Stop Limit. Train sits at A until space opens up under that Limit for the B stations.

Train is at A. All of the B stations are disabled, train wants to go to C. If all of C are full (no room under the limit) it sits where it is until room opens up.

In your scenario, train is at A. It leaves for B, but while en route all of B become Disabled. Train then looks for an open C. Every stop C is full under the train stop limit. Train stops right where it is with the Destination Full message.

Simple solution is to AVOID MIXING ENABLE/DISABLE and Train Stop Limits. You can mix them on one map, but NOT within any one train’s schedule. It is rare nowadays (not impossible, just rare) to find a situation where you actually want a train to SKIP all of the next stop. I’d recommend just sticking with Train Stop Limits, and not using Enable/Disable.

bbgobie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bbgobie »

I think this issue should only come up if 1 or more of your stations has a train limit set higher than 1.

I wasn't clear from your post if you had a single train and only stations with limit 1, but going to assume you have multiple trains, and possibly 1 or more station with a limit higher than 1.

For example.
Train station A has limit 2 and some enable/disable limit.
There is 1 train unloading, and 1 train heading there.

The train unloading causes the disable limit to be triggered, the train heading there is somewhere in the middle of the map.
The train unloading will continue to unload, but the train heading there will now have no destination as the stop has been disabled. If it can't find another stop it will just sit there blocking your rail line.

For myself after I have plenty of trains going I disable the limit, as I prefer to have a train limit of 2 so theres almost always a train waiting to unload.

Although I don't normally have a train limit 1, I can't think of a scenario where this issue would happen if all stations named the same had the 1 limit. Unless something else triggers the disable condition. eg Some bots or something load something into a box that triggers the condition

Return to “Gameplay Help”