Big Biters spawning too early and are nearly invulnerable

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Rylus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Big Biters spawning too early and are nearly invulnerable

Post by Rylus »

Soo, I dunno if something changed, but ....

All I looked up says "What you experience is impossible".
Friend and me started a new Game, decreased the Evolution Factors over Time to lowest and slightly increased it for Pollution - like we were used to play many Rounds before.

But now, after we researched all Red and Green and were out to clear the first Nests to get to more Recources, we encountered Big Biters (no, not Medium or such).
Also, they were insanemey Strong - one single Biter ate through 2 Lines of Wall and then killed 27 Turrets build straight beneath each other in a Row, constantly firing at them, eating up about 4k+ of Ammo in Total before beeing killed - a single one.
While Buddy and me firing full 200 rounds of AP into it via Cars as well the whole Time.

I never encountered such a strong Biter before - especially not after 3-4h of Gameplay.

According to all Information I have and got looking into it this should be not happening this way.
Neither should Big Biters spawn that Early no should they be that Strong - even with all Resistances counted in they should die much faster.

Also, the spawnrate of the Base is a bit.... funny.
I am used to the constant spawning, but one Nest spawning 14 Biters in 3 Seconds is a bit.... too much?

So, do I miss something like an Update within the lastz Year where Biters got buffed (small ones take 1 Shot and medium Biters die with 2-4 Shots from one Turret still) or is this a Bug with the Bugs?
Because, this makes it nearly impossible to play, I gotta say.
I can deal with Big Spitters that Early, but thoose Biters are something else, making it nearly impossible to play.

Oh, and also - The Bugs attack even without subjected to pollution at all. Had this in the first Game where after 1 and a half Hour a Single Biter of that Type attacked and leveled the whole Base and then spawnkilled us, destroying the Game.

So, here some Questions: Do Enemies just "Level up" in Type but their Stats are fixed or do they get stronger like "getting more HP" and such?
And how to deal with this/fix it eventually?

We normally play on default settings but wanted a more "chill Game" so we reduced the Evolution Factors - so I really wonder why this happen....

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Big Biters spawning too early and are nearly invulnerable

Post by Koub »

[Koub] I'm moving this to Gameplay Help for now : it's highly unlikely a bug in the biter strength has remained unnoticed for so long, so it's likely either a map settings error, a misunderstanding of some game mechanic, or "works as intended". Will gladly move this back to bug reports if it is a genuine bug.

Can you please share your game ? There might be a logical explanation that wouldn't involve a bug.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Sounds like you have some mods loaded, I’m going to guess something that changes biters and something akin to Rampant.

If you go over to a spawner and mouse over it, what is the evolution factor at?

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

Sounds like a "big monsters" mod threw a biterzilla at you.

Rylus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rylus »

Gotta ask Hosting Friend for that Gamefile....
How do I provide it not violating any Rules about Links and such?

And afaik (as Friend said) there are no Mods. We mostly play Games Vanilla because we hate the constant Problems with them after Updates.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Rylus wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:22 pm
How do I provide it not violating any Rules about Links and such?
Best method, if the save is small enough, is to just use the attachment method of the forums (when you're composing a post, look just below the Save draft / Preview / Submit buttons).

If it's too big for that, Dropbox, Google drive, OneDrive, or whatever other file hosting & sharing site you have access to.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Rylus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rylus »

Here the File
This is from our second attempt where again monsterous Big Biter of- at least for me felt - unusual strengh occured and way too early in my experience.
Recources should be very rich, Evolution over Time off and Pollution Evolution doubled, Attacksizes should be fix at 10, timed between 15-60min.
Attachments
Coop_Easy2.zip
(4.44 MiB) Downloaded 18 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Looking at your map real fast, offhand I don't see anything inherently wrong (with the game).

Your evolution factor is ~71.57%. It looks like you've been playing on this map for ~7.25 hours (though for some reason game.ticks_played is ~6000 ticks higher than game.tick? I don't often pay attention to that number, so I don't know what that's about), and evolution by pollution is set to 0.001, which is more than double the default of 0.00009 (from the game creation screens, default should simply show as "9", which means your game got set to "100"). So, yeah, this looks about right. :)

Big biters have an inherent physical damage resist of 8/10%. You have researched physical projectile damage 2 and Military 2 (red ammo), but are using yellow ammo in your turrets, so at best, these turrets are doing 5+2.2=7.2 physical damage per shot. That's not enough to overcome the damage resistance, hence why they seem like they're invincible. :)

Hope this helps. :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles | New Gear Girl & HR Graphics

Rylus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rylus »

That explains a lot.

Fragg, I know why I prefer to be the Host.

That Evolution Factor is a bit too high for my taste - as the pollution evolution factor I was told we play with.

Say, where do you get thoose Infos from?
I looked for that before but cold not find it anywhere aka "How to look into the Game Settings later on"?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I used mods, though there are likely console commands for at least some of it.

Stats GUI can display some info like the current evolution factor and time played game time (in days, so x25k for number of ticks played). (Edit: it does show time played, too, which I forgot about and did not have enabled (as I typically play SP and don't care about it), which would show in hours & minutes.)
Change Map Settings allows you to see and alter all of the map gen settings, including pollution factor, and also shows current evolution.
Lua API global Variable Viewer (gvv) allows viewing all game values directly in a raw form, so they're a bit harder to find (somewhat; it does include a search feature), but they are also exact (ie, I was able to get the exact game.tick value from this vs guesstimating from the Stats GUI time played).
Last edited by FuryoftheStars on Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rylus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rylus »

Thanks, that helps a lot - and many Thanks for the help before.

Feel a bit like an Idiot now :roll: :D

Well, next Game I Host again for sure.

Return to “Gameplay Help”