Saving custom map presets?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Blitz4
Inserter
Inserter

Saving custom map presets?

Post by Blitz4 »

It's time for a new run in Factorio!
Create new world. Choose one of the presets. Make the same change again for this type of run. Which settings did this type of run use again? Where are my notes?

I'm curious why that's not automated?!

viewtopic.php?t=45083
It's been asked in a time long long ago, in that thread. I'm curious if it's possible to save map presets in a mod?

No saving a text string and figuring out how to organize it for that type of run.
Ultimately I'd rather the custom map preset be saved in Steam Cloud somehow so I never have to worry about it, but unlikely unless it's in vanilla. It's not and I'm curious if there's a mod that allows saving presets?

Blitz4
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Saving custom map presets?

Post by Blitz4 »

Wanted to add there is a slightly buggy solution to save it in Steam Cloud. Using the new Steam overlay which allows you to save notes per game. You can even access those notes and edit them on the game page in your library. I say buggy as I use it too much and it's crashed the entire overlay for me a couple of times. Also there's no way to add folders or move notes, so you're stuck with the order of creation and one big list of notes. No matter, it works to accomplish the goal. I'm curious if there's a smoother way, like creating a custom preset with a custom name, like I can create a custom map.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

You can use savefiles as named map presets in the Steam cloud. There's a button for getting the map preset string from a savefile. So if you want to play the same world again then just copy it from the previous world and import it when making a new one. And you can make "empty" worlds named after their configuration if you want some kind of organized way of keeping track of the strings.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

To add a bit to what Qon said, you can also organize these into folders to keep them separate from your regular saves (although you'd need to use your OS's file manager to do that).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Blitz4
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blitz4 »

Thanks Qon. I'm checking it out right now. I love this game.
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:05 am
To add a bit to what Qon said, you can also organize these into folders to keep them separate from your regular saves (although you'd need to use your OS's file manager to do that).
And that'd be uploaded to the steam cloud as a sub-directory?

Blitz4
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blitz4 »

Blitz4 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:30 am
Wanted to add there is a slightly buggy solution to save it in Steam Cloud. Using the new Steam overlay which allows you to save notes per game. You can even access those notes and edit them on the game page in your library. I say buggy as I use it too much and it's crashed the entire overlay for me a couple of times. Also there's no way to add folders or move notes, so you're stuck with the order of creation and one big list of notes. No matter, it works to accomplish the goal. I'm curious if there's a smoother way, like creating a custom preset with a custom name, like I can create a custom map.
as an update. i had to reinstall steam recently. i forgot i was using the beta steam client. as soon as i changed to that again the notes in the overlay is working fine again.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Blitz4 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:52 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:05 am
And that'd be uploaded to the steam cloud as a sub-directory?
No idea. I don't use Steam Sync anymore because of the problems I've had with it. You'd have to try it out and see what happens, I'm afraid.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Gameplay Help”