Artillery Wagon with Destination Full

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bleefulblorf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Artillery Wagon with Destination Full

Post by Bleefulblorf »

I have a very simple problem. My artillery wagons will not fire while waiting at the resource field. The train station at base (not in screenshot) activates when resources get too low, so trains stay away as often as possible to use their artillery. Whenever a train returns from base the artillery wagon turns on long enough to turn about 150 degrees, then the train is full, the destination full message appears, and the wagon turns off without ever firing. The station at base must have a train limit of 1 to avoid congestion. I need a solution to this problem (that isn't just putting down a stationary artillery cannon), possibly a mod that overrides the 'destination full', which seems to have the same effect on the train as 'no path'. I have already tried smart artillery wagons and it did not work.
Attachments
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 790 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Artillery Wagon with Destination Full

Post by Loewchen »

Use train limits instead of disabling the station.
Train is full as wait condition will not work, use inactivity instead.
A train limit of 1 in base is horrible, change the station so 2 trains can fit, one behind the other.

Bleefulblorf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bleefulblorf »

I am using train limits. I'm not sure what you mean about the inactivity. And even if I was capable of increasing the train limit, the other trains would still display 'destination full'.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Bleefulblorf wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:07 am
I'm not sure what you mean about the inactivity.
Artillery wagons on an automated train will only operate from when the train arrives at a stop until the wait conditions in the schedule allow it to leave. The fact a train may not move away from a stop when the wait conditions are met (eg because it can't reserve its next stop, as in your case, or due to a signal) doesn't matter.

Artillery wagons reset the inactivity time while searching for targets (which is not instant) and firing, so instead of waiting until "Full cargo inventory" you can use eg "Full cargo inventory AND 1s of inactivity" to have the train also continue to wait if there are still targets the artillery can fire at (which also requires shells are available). "Time passed" conditions may additionally/alternatively be useful, depending on the behaviour you want.

As a side note, you might like to consider dedicated "border patrol" artillery train(s) and stops.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

SoShootMe wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:43 am
Bleefulblorf wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:07 am
I'm not sure what you mean about the inactivity.
Artillery wagons on an automated train will only operate from when the train arrives at a stop until the wait conditions in the schedule allow it to leave. The fact a train may not move away from a stop when the wait conditions are met (eg because it can't reserve its next stop, as in your case, or due to a signal) doesn't matter.

Artillery wagons reset the inactivity time while searching for targets (which is not instant) and firing, so instead of waiting until "Full cargo inventory" you can use eg "Full cargo inventory AND 1s of inactivity" to have the train also continue to wait if there are still targets the artillery can fire at (which also requires shells are available). "Time passed" conditions may additionally/alternatively be useful, depending on the behaviour you want.

As a side note, you might like to consider dedicated "border patrol" artillery train(s) and stops.
I think fill cargo will never be met if the wagon fires at least once. Probably need to use an item count condition on the iron plates.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Or you could ONLY set an inactivity condition.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

wobbycarly wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:55 am
I think fill cargo will never be met if the wagon fires at least once. Probably need to use an item count condition on the iron plates.
Yes, good catch :).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Or place an artillery turret there and unload the ammunition from the artillery wagon into the turret. Use the artillery wagon only as cargo wagon for artillery shells.

Return to “Gameplay Help”