help with train stops

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
dakenho
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

help with train stops

Post by dakenho »

I was wondering if anyone could help make this train setup work, signals are really unintuitive especially with my track "design". I have a single train stop for iron ore and two trains that I was hoping would share this train stop. I placed a signal on either end of stop, the idea is that it would create three segments, the north side of the tracks, the east side of the tracks and the depot, their are no other signals any place on the line. The design somewhat works, the signals detects if their is a train in the depot section and the trains waits until it is clear then enters the depot BUT the trains will not leave the depot and instead will say no path.
so I tried the following, checking the path to ensure a biter did not get it (it is the death world marathon challenge after all, it was fine), manually piloting the trains (this works fine), and deleting the signals (trains run fine if the signals are removed all together). I am just not sure why the signals are breaking the trains pathing.

picture of the depot setup attached
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (2.44 MiB) Viewed 495 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: help with train stops

Post by Loewchen »

You have one track coming from the north and signaled in direction south and one track from the east signaled direction west, there is no path for the train to go anywhere from the station. Either you give the train new tracks to go north/west or you need to signal the existing tracks on both sides so it can use the tracks in opposite direction.
You should try the train tutorials to get a basic understanding of signaling.

NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NineNine »

You definitely have to learn train signalling to get this to work.

The simple way that I learned to do signaling was: chain in, signal out. Meaning, you put a signal where two tracks come together to a single track, and you put chain signals in along the two feeder tracks leading up to the merge.

This covers most signalling in the game, but you still need to have a better understanding of it to really enjoy the game. Signalling is something you can't really avoid if you're going to do any sort of significant work with trains.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Also what would be the point of the track where the "10" is displayed? Trains coming from the east intentionally get in the way of trains leaving the station just to then split of to the north again and come from the station from the other side?

Your rail setup is needlessly spaghettified. If you are using two-way rails (which then always needs signals on both sides of the track) why not design your station in a simple "P" shape. All the rails for the connecting tracks would connect of the bottom part of the P and the loop at the top you then make one-way, with trains always driving in the direction the train stop dictates.

I would also recommend to always place a signal directly after the train stop itself, at the front of the parking train, and one at the back end of the train. That way a parked train will be in it's own rail block and not potentially block any other traffic. And then have another block where the next train can park waiting to enter the station without blocking the main traffic. Set the train limit of the stop to 2 in that design.

Note: In the purple region draw in arrows for which way you want trains to move. Then every time you switch between arrows going one way to arrows going 2 ways you need signals. If you get arrows going one way meeting arrows going the other way then you did something wrong (not meeting arrows going both ways, actually going only the other way). Like on the east exit you want the train to leave. But the blue segment only allows trains to enter.

Return to “Gameplay Help”