Automatic Updates

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Voideka
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Automatic Updates

Post by Voideka »

Does the automatic updater currently work? I tried logging in to it but it tells me my username/password is invalid.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Automatic Updates

Post by kovarex »

It should work, does your username/password work on the www.factorio.com?

Voideka
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Voideka »

Well it worked on the web page last night but not the game. Today it works in the game again (as well as the site), so it must have been a temporary thing. Maybe when a new version was being uploaded or something?

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

Nice to see that problem got solved by itself :D

Just a note for others:
If Factorio gets blocked by Firewall entering any username and password will result in recieving message username/password is invalid. This also happens if you have your Firewall set up in "interactive" mode, where you need to manually confirm or denny internet access first time for every new connection which is being made by any of your programs, becouse Factorio has small waiting time for establishing sucsessful conection to Factorio verification server.
This small connection time can sometimes also result in unability to veriffy your password in case of slow response times of your internet connection.
Wireless conections or mobile based connections thend to have a bit longer response time after short time of inactivity due to power saving features.

@Developers
Maybe you should either increase avalilable wating time for username/password verification or make several retries to avoid theese problems in the future.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

SilverWarior wrote: @Developers
Maybe you should either increase avalilable wating time for username/password verification or make several retries to avoid theese problems in the future.
Good idea, I'm adding it to the issues list :-)
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Phantasm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Phantasm »

cube wrote:
SilverWarior wrote: @Developers
Good idea, I'm adding it to the issues list :-)
And when it fails, it should say couldn't connect to the server instead of wrong pass.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

The problem is, that we use HTTP error code 403 for signalling unauthorized access to the updater API, which in turn displays the login dialog. If the firewall cancels our connection with this code, our options for detecting it are very limited. We will certainly think about it, but I can't really promise a 100% effective solution for this.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

U se 401 for that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes
403 Forbidden
The request was a valid request, but the server is refusing to respond to it. Unlike a 401 Unauthorized response, authenticating will make no difference. On servers where authentication is required, this commonly means that the provided credentials were successfully authenticated but that the credentials still do not grant the client permission to access the resource (e.g. a recognized user attempting to access restricted content).
401 if not logged in.
403 is when you have successful logged in, but - for example - you posted too much in factorio forums. :) it's not so common, that a firewall sends 403, it send normally 5XX errors, because a firewall is normally not a server.

You can and should also send a content (nobody said that an error can't send content), which then can be displayed in the client (the game). The content don't need to be HTML, set right content-type-headers! Think for a message like "please be patient, we currently update to v 0.8"

Some other stuff from that page:
418 I'm a teapot (RFC 2324)
This code was defined in 1998 as one of the traditional IETF April Fools' jokes, in RFC 2324, Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol, and is not expected to be implemented by actual HTTP servers.
Can we have teapots in factorio? Pleeeeaaase! Teapot factory spills the teapots into lake, they swim to the next belt, filled with water and then can be heated by burners, put some leaves of creeper-trees in it and fill into the steam engines.

Btw interesting fact is that C418 made the music for minecraft. ( http://c418.bandcamp.com/ ) this is the reason for his name.
420 Enhance Your Calm (Twitter)
Not part of the HTTP standard, but returned by the Twitter Search and Trends API when the client is being rate limited.[13] Other services may wish to implement the 429 Too Many Requests response code instead.
Useful, if someone looks too often, if there is a new version :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

We will be changing it to 401 in 0.6.0. ... and I can tell you for sure that we won't use 418 or 420.

Return to “Gameplay Help”